GetErBrewed Raspberry Wheat Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They'd probably break up pretty quickly in the boil, but mashing them a bit can't do much harm.

I added mine in the secondary after microwaving them for a few minutes to kill off any wild yeast. I figured that anything that goes through the primary will lose some flavour in fermentation, but in retrospect it made racking a PITA and there were still seeds and sediment (beyond the usual wheat beer yeast) in the bottles. Tasted fantastic through, definitely one to brew again.

It's also worth doing with cherries for a similar but different taste.

One thing I found surprising (or shouldn't have) is the result is not much like commercial examples, it's dry. I think commercially they must add sulphates to the beer, then add the raspberry, whereas the homebrew recipes all ferment the fruit. I prefer the dry version, the OH prefers the commercial sweet versions because once fermented it's more like a sour beer with just the tart elements of raspberry flavour rather than the sweetness of the fruit.

Latest posts

Back