Getting started a couple of questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ificouldbrew

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've got a coopers canadian blonde kit with my starter kit and I'm looking to brew on Boxing day. Unfortunately SWMBO has declared it a Christmas present so I can't get started before then but I'm keen to get brewing and have been hitting the forums hard in anticipation of my brew.

I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find the answer to so I thought I would post them up in advance.

1. Does a kit brew smell? I have a cupboard in the kitchen (under the stairs) that should make for a good place to keep my brew whilst it ferments however SWMBO is a little reluctant because it might 'stink'.

2. Having a relatively new born our house temperature is fixed at between 19-21 degrees whilst we are in it, but it may drop slightly shy of that if we are out and the CH is off. If I wrap the FV in some blankets will this be enough to regulate the brew?

3. I'm keen to get a couple of brews going back to back as from what I have read, you really want to leave your bottled beers for a good number of weeks to condition them and get the best flavour out of them. If I kick start the brews intensively I should have a good spread to keep me going throughout the year. Are there any suggestions for good brews to follow my canadian blonde. I'm keen to try the Coopers stout and the woodfordes wherry, anything else that would be diverse yet fairly straight forward?

4. As I intend to do a number of brews back to back I want to pick up some supplies. I understand for the Woodfordes Wherry everything I need is in the kit but for other brews (the stout) should I be buying some malt extracts to have around the house. Recommendations of core supplies would be appreciated.

5. I'm completely about bottling at the moment so I will buy some more PET bottles, what are the right sanitisers to be using?

Thanks for your help, I can't wait to get started and learn more about brewing. This forum has already taught me so much.

Cheers

Simon

Lots of questions
You will get a slight smell but not much as the Lid will be on the fv
Wrapping in a blanket will work fine
After fermentation has finished keep it in the warm for a week then move it somewhere cool to clear
Wherry kits are good I'd recommend the 2 can kits there's a wide range out there to choose from
Pet bottles are fine if your using clear ones make sure you keep them out of direct sunlight as it will skunk the beer you can use vwp or thin supermarket bleach as a steraliser

Thanks for your help Eddie. Much appreciated.

I'll try and get one of the two can kits going before I head back to work after the xmas break. Looking forward to it!

For the one can kits like coopers i usually add 500g dme which I order from wilkinsons (£4) and they deliver it to what ever store you want. Or you can use their brew enhancer if you want.
The wherry is a very good kit.

I've never had any smells from my kits so far.

LeedsBrewer said:
For the one can kits like coopers i usually add 500g dme which I order from wilkinsons (£4) and they deliver it to what ever store you want. Or you can use their brew enhancer if you want.
The wherry is a very good kit.

I've never had any smells from my kits so far.

Thanks, I was in the Bristol Wilko's yesterday and it appeared to have a fairly small but well stocked homebrew section. There are also a couple of homebrew stores in Bristol but I haven't had a chance to visit yet. The first kit comes with BE1 (canadian blonde) but for the stout I might pick up some DME from Wilkinsons. Appreciate the tip.

Simon

I'll give you some advice that was given to me when I started to brew and it was invaluable: use StarSan as your sanitiser. It's a bit pricy, but it's no-rinse and infinitely easier to use than the no-rinse pink powder.

Also 19-21 degrees is an awesome fermentation temp for ales. Blankets will definitely do the trick. I always wrap my mash tun in blankets when steeping and it preserves the temperature quite nicely.

As an aside, I've always found the Cooper's "Canadian Blonde" to be really odd. As a Canadian, I've never really heard of that style and have always wondered why a company that makes kits would want to emulate Canadian beer. Our beer is brutal. Even a lot our microbreweries are terrible. My bet is that your first attempt at a Cooper's kit is probably going to taste better than 90% of the beer produced in Canada at the moment.

ificouldbrew said:
There are also a couple of homebrew stores in Bristol but I haven't had a chance to visit yet.
Enjoy your first visit to the home brew shop on Gloucester Road. You've a 50% chance of meeting the most uncommunicative shop assistant/owner you'll ever meet.

Where-a-bouts in Brissle are you?

ificouldbrew said:
Hi all,

I've got a coopers canadian blonde kit with my starter kit and I'm looking to brew on Boxing day. Unfortunately SWMBO has declared it a Christmas present so I can't get started before then but I'm keen to get brewing and have been hitting the forums hard in anticipation of my brew.

I have a couple of questions that I can't seem to find the answer to so I thought I would post them up in advance.

1. Does a kit brew smell? I have a cupboard in the kitchen (under the stairs) that should make for a good place to keep my brew whilst it ferments however SWMBO is a little reluctant because it might 'stink'.

2. Having a relatively new born our house temperature is fixed at between 19-21 degrees whilst we are in it, but it may drop slightly shy of that if we are out and the CH is off. If I wrap the FV in some blankets will this be enough to regulate the brew?

3. I'm keen to get a couple of brews going back to back as from what I have read, you really want to leave your bottled beers for a good number of weeks to condition them and get the best flavour out of them. If I kick start the brews intensively I should have a good spread to keep me going throughout the year. Are there any suggestions for good brews to follow my canadian blonde. I'm keen to try the Coopers stout and the woodfordes wherry, anything else that would be diverse yet fairly straight forward?

4. As I intend to do a number of brews back to back I want to pick up some supplies. I understand for the Woodfordes Wherry everything I need is in the kit but for other brews (the stout) should I be buying some malt extracts to have around the house. Recommendations of core supplies would be appreciated.

5. I'm completely about bottling at the moment so I will buy some more PET bottles, what are the right sanitisers to be using?

Thanks for your help, I can't wait to get started and learn more about brewing. This forum has already taught me so much.

Cheers

Simon

If I were you, after the Coopers, go for St Peters Ruby Red Ale - you'll not regret it, it's a big step up from Coopers (imho) as is Wherry, St P RR is one of my favourite non AG brews.

For sterilising, I used to use steam, but now I use Videne, contact sterilisers - £1 sprayer from Wilko or The R@nge, and £5 or so for Videne from Asda Pharmacy: http://www.uk.ecolab.eu/all-application ... ution.html

You could do a lot worse than ordering this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Brew-Your-Briti ... 770&sr=1-1

Merry Christmas! :grin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Good choice with the Canadian Blonde, it's a very nice beer - but it's not an ale, more like a lager beer, so bottling it all is best IMHO, so that it's carbonated. I enjoyed it when I did it, I brewed it short to 21L with Enhancer, didn't last long :D

Coopers Stout is a good choice next. Despite moving onto Extract brewing, I still do this one regularly, in fact one's on at the moment. Treat yourself to a can of Coopers Dark Malt Extract instead of sugar, to effectively make this a 2-can kit, and you'll brew one of the best stouts you'll ever taste :D

If/when you want to brew a proper British real ale, I'd recommend trying to get a kit with some hops: whilst the can-only kits produce some nice diverse beers as suggested above, I find that you need a hops boil/steep stage to get close or better than a pub ale. The kits are good (Woodfordes Wherry, Muntons Smugglers etc.) but with a little bit of extra time and effort you can make a far superior beer.

Your coopers blonde will be fine, as im lead to beleive all the coopers kits are good. Ive done the coopers stout and its first class. Im fermenting st peters ruby red at the moment and will let everyone know what i think of it when its ready to drink.
happy brewing and merry xmas

Back