Gin

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyhibbett

Landlord.
Reaction score
I was recently given a bottle of 'gin' by my neighbour, made from cane sugar with dried lychees to give it a cleaner flavour. I decided to convert it to gin by adding dried juniper berries. It's a bit like reverse engineering. Sloe gin is made from adding sloes to gin. At present it still tastes like hooch and I know our moderater does not approve of such matters, but it's no different to buying a bottle of Polish spirit and adding flavouring, is it?
Any ideas on how much dried juniper is needed and for how long?

Post edited by admin V1 to remove word implying distillation at 'home'

Can't really be discussed here mate - they're not fond of people pushing the limits either. If it was fermented, that's fine. Distilled, then it's a no-no :thumb:

I think Tony knows that Rob he has a serial obsession with pushing the limits :lol: :lol:

If he's been "given it by a neighbour", isn't discussing how it was made and is merely asking about flavouring ingredients, then I can't see a problem .... yet.

As the bloke said, it's no different to buying a bottle of Polish spirit or trying to flavour one of those Alcotec kits.

It's interesting that the juniper flavour of gin was used to mask the unpleasant flavour of quinine, a treatment for malaria, and some is still present in tonic water (to make gin more palatable?), whereas I am using it mask the rather unpleasant flavour of what I have been given!
Anyway the answer to my question would appear to be 'not a lot', as juniper has a strong flavour, so I've used a handful of crushed dried berries which have turned it a rather unconvincing light tan. I'll leave it for a couple of weeks, run it through a coffee filter paper, chill it, mix it with tonic water and a dash of lemon and see how it tastes...

It gets more interesting. Add cardomom, fennel seed, clove and lemon zest (peel without pith) in small amounts, plus some weak apple brandy and it's 'Gin, Jim, but not as we know it.'

That is what the mods don't like, you actually mentioned the process :nono: :nono:

Surely if your removing the water percentage from your brew wether its by freezing or boiling to increase the alcohol then it's a form of distillation so in my opinion I'd be on the safe side and stay off the subject JBK are happy to discuss it then feel free to discuss it there and abide by THBF rules and not discuss it on here sorry my opinion only

I've edited the original post for obvious reasons and deleted a load of the posts which allude to distillation, you know THBF stance on the subject. If you want to know about freeze ditillation there's plenty of info on't web...just don't discuss it here!
Thank you to all the members who tried to 'steer' the subject away and keep it on the straight and narrow, much appreciated :thumb:
If the suggestion of distillation comes up again the posts will be deleted. The original question by Tony is fine so please feel free to help on that subject.

THBF Team

tonyhibbett said:
I'm not encouraging people to break the law or jeapordise this highly valuable and respected forum, and I see no harm in informed debate.
Your points are valid, if not entirely accurate. Where you mention 500 gallons I believe that might be 480 litres, but it's still too sodding big for most home brewers' kitchens, garages or sheds.

The illicit stills are quite likely to expose workers to risk of explosion, but the hazards to prospective customers from drinking these fake vodkas might not come from the distillates they are producing, but from things the unscrupulous might then use to cut that distillate, such as meths or screen wash with bleach to remove the colour.

However, you are quite right that there are other sites where this subject can be discussed openly, and if you want informed debate I believe that JBK thread is still running, so take this somewhere else.

Tony, I consider you last post pushing the boundries and THBF Team have got better things to do with their time than watch out for posts where the posters have been advised about content.
Please do not post on the forum again about the subject.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back