Ginger in Beer (not Ginger Beer).

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jafski

Reaction score
Hi all,

Thinking of doing an Orange Witbier next, and also thought a hint of ginger would be good in it.

Anyone used root ginger in the boil before?

I've read that as little as 10-15g (finely chopped) at the end of the boil can come through in the final beer, I just want it to be there behind the orange and not overpower it, will that be about right?

Any thoughts appreciated in advance.

Here's my recipe.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-06-10 at 10.35.42.png
    Screen Shot 2018-06-10 at 10.35.42.png
    184 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
In a 23L batch 10g of ginger at the end of the boil will be imperceptible. Last one I did have 250g (after peeling), finely chopped and added for the last 5 mins of the boil and it was present but not overpowering nor even dominant. If you want something just in the background, a bit like how the orange peel and coriander in a Belgian wit can't be picked out when tasted but there is something missing that you can't put your finger on when it's missing, then I'd go more in the 80-100g range.

In a 23L batch 10g of ginger at the end of the boil will be imperceptible. Last one I did have 250g (after peeling), finely chopped and added for the last 5 mins of the boil and it was present but not overpowering nor even dominant. If you want something just in the background, a bit like how the orange peel and coriander in a Belgian wit can't be picked out when tasted but there is something missing that you can't put your finger on when it's missing, then I'd go more in the 80-100g range.

Great thank you.

A spreadsheet of brewing spices I have which I presume is American suggests a maximum of 6 ounces of freshly grated root during the last 15 minutes of the boil, for 5 (US?) gallons

A spreadsheet of brewing spices I have which I presume is American suggests a maximum of 6 ounces of freshly grated root during the last 15 minutes of the boil, for 5 (US?) gallons

170g in 19L is what this equates to. So common sense suggests going with IainM's suggestion.

Most of the spicy taste in Belgian beers is said to derive from the yeast strains.

Might be worth seeing if you can find a recipe for badger's blandford fly and see what proportions they use?

Latest posts

Back