Glen Brewery Stout - 10/10/08

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dunfie

Regular.
Reaction score
I am working from home tomorrow so am planning to brew from home as well. :party:

I will get the recipe sorted out tomorrow but it will probably be along the lines of the 7:2:1 ratio. However I don't think I have enough roast barley so I might do go 50:50 roast barley:roast wheat and see how things go. I also think I am a bit short of flaked barley but I'll fudge that too. No idea on the hops yet but that isn't important.

My god - I used the same system to come up with my forum brew. Lots more details tomorrow. :lol:

Vossy1 said:
Are you brewing Dunfie ?

Not yet V. Juggling work and brewing today. Will hopefully get HLT on early afternoon.

I'm doing a Guiness type brew tonight because I have never actually done a basic dry stout before. I have done a few porters and one Oatmeal Stout but never a traditional dry stout. I read that one of the secrets to a good stout is to finely crush the roast malts so I have painstakingly worked all of mine through a rather small mortar and pestle (oh! the labour :roll: ).

GlenBreweryStout.jpg

Just cooling down now. I ended up with 19l so will have to top up when its cooled and I have measured gravity.

I have to say that it does smell great :thumb:

I read that one of the secrets to a good stout is to finely crush the roast malts so I have painstakingly worked all of mine through a rather small mortar and pestle (oh! the labour ).

I hope it works well for you D :cool:
Personally, the only difference between my good oatmeal stouts, and those I'm not so keen on, has been the size of the grind (pestle and mortar being the not so keen)....so I'll be interested to know what you think :thumb:
BTW, you tasted my 'better' oatmeal stout version...not so fine crush.
FWIW, both my young and old OMS were equally as good early on, the fine crush was worse with age.....having said that.....it depends what you call age....what I do know is that the older it got the less keen I was :cry:

Vossy1 said:
I read that one of the secrets to a good stout is to finely crush the roast malts so I have painstakingly worked all of mine through a rather small mortar and pestle (oh! the labour ).

I hope it works well for you D :cool:
Personally, the only difference between my good oatmeal stouts, and those I'm not so keen on, has been the size of the grind (pestle and mortar being the not so keen)....so I'll be interested to know what you think :thumb:
BTW, you tasted my 'better' oatmeal stout version...not so fine crush.
FWIW, both my young and old OMS were equally as good early on, the fine crush was worse with age.....having said that.....it depends what you call age....what I do know is that the older it got the less keen I was :cry:

Thats interesting V. I used the mortar and pestle for my OMS (which I think was based on your OMS recipe) and it was quite popular (although sadly passed away to the big liver filtration unit in the sky).

I will endeavour to form an opinion through hours and hours of strict tasting sessions. :lol:

Back