Golden Bawl-Ox - Update

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Today The BAwl-Ox brewery presents" Golden" Bawl-ox.

24L - 90 Min Mash
3.3 kg MO
750Gm Wheat Malt

40Gm EKG 90 Mins
20 Gm EKG 15 mins

Aiming for 4.1.

Strike temp was 74 C and the Mash is in at 68. Just off to watch a bit of the GP. Not too interested now that the Brits are out
Sorry No Pics causer I cant be arsed. I will be interested to see what happen re clarity with the wheat malt. I like what Wheat does to a beer.
At the end of 90 Mins the mash only lost 1 degree so Im happy its a good mash

Due to being nackered Im splitting the brewday.
I have ended up with 31L at 1037 before the boil which is about bang on for what I want. Gawd its pale looking......
Parte deux tomorrow.

Vossy I meant F1GP not GP bikes . sorry for the confusion.
As for Golden The boiler has just gone on, the wort is incredibly light but quite muddy I suppose that is the wheat. Im going to give it the hardest boil ever to make sure I get a good hot break.

PS Im going to have to "Let the wife Go" I asked her to help me dough in and she said of the fragrancy of the malt hitting the hot liquor ,,,, I cant believe she said this,,,,,, " Im going to be sick" .... she has to go.... I cant have that..... no no no ... I cant have that

Just had a slight re-hash of the hopping I found a meagre amount of Fuggles in teh corner of teh freezer so Its now
7gm Fuggles 90 Mins
35 Gm EKG 90 Mins
2o Gm EKG 15 mins

AAAARRRRGH
I decided to use the plastic 5 Gallon boiler this morning instead of teh gorgeous shiney 100L one and Bollox bollox bollox one of teh Tesco kettle elements has given up the ghost and the other one is barley man enough for the job..... Its going to be a slow boil.....

Crisis - OR luck....
2 minutes to go on the last 15 mins of boil. 2nd element went........ :thumb:

15 minutes to take it down from Boil to 29C with my IC (Lots of stirring to get wort flowing around cold coils) not bad at all..... Gonna leave her 30 of 40 mins to settle the trub b4 running it off into the fermenter. so far so good.....

She is in the fermenter 22l @ 1.038 seeded with nottingham at 18C. Room temp floats between 18 and 22 at this time of year. Be interesting as this puppy is being bottled. Not a drop shall pass my lips till chrimbo......... Honest

Peeps she has finished this morning at 1010. which gives me 3.7%. Im happy with that, The ferment had a cauliflower head on it Im putting that down to an overdose of protofloc and irish moss. But it looks clear as hell. Bottling it later...........

gutted I lost 3 L to the cauliflower so I have only ended up with 19L ...... damned vegetable like growths........ damn them.... damn them... thats 5 firkin pints lost...

Reet - I carbonated into the bottles at a ratio of 1.5. Left it in the heat for a few days and dropped a few bottles into the Keggerator this morning to see what 5C would do re clearing the beer.

And yes Wez I couldn't resist and this will never see december never mind christmas.......
Just tried one

OMG i think I have died and gone to piggy heaven.... I am going to drown myself in this one......
It is dangerously drinkable. I joke not this is a two gulp pint.........
Its neck and neck with a Kenny in my book......

Its getting scaled up big style..... all my kegs need filling with this.... It has a slight haze but that is down to the wheat........

:party: -(Gargles as he drown himself with Golden Bawl-Ox)- :party:

Back