Got my gear

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davdandy

Reaction score
Ok,went shopping today and bought what i hope i all i need to start me off.If i am missing something could you let me know.Hope i have what is required.

My local brew shop recommended me the Young`s bitter over the Coopers which can be changed next time so i can try different brews out.

home brew.jpg

VWP is good - needs to be rinsed. Star San or [EDIT] another non rinse sanitiser is great for spraying as you go.

Don't forget to lubricate the seal on your tap. Vaseline will work. Some prefer not to use that and you can buy food grade lubricant as an alternative.

As already mentioned a hyrdrometer is very useful, plus a trial jar is an option.

Ok,went shopping today and bought what i hope i all i need to start me off.If i am missing something could you let me know.Hope i have what is required.

My local brew shop recommended me the Young`s bitter over the Coopers which can be changed next time so i can try different brews out.

http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-acces...o-hydrometer-loose-wine-and-beer/invt/0022575

http://www.wilko.com/homebrew-accessories+equipment/wilko-thermometer-12-inch-spirit/invt/0022574

http://www.tesco.com/direct/youngs-...gclid=CITGpdWu8skCFYWfGwodG3YLZA&gclsrc=aw.ds

Water test the fermentor bucket and tap for leaks then sterilise everything that will touch your brew. (not you cat mind - as one forum member did)

Once you take a reading of the wort you've made leave it for 2 weeks at instructions recommend temps before looking again. in the mean time consider if you are going to bottle or keg it.:hmm:

You will purchase a hydrometer at some stage but that's enough to get you started. Just follow the instructions on the tin.

A hydrometer is used to measure the gravity of the beer and is used to work out the strength of the beer but as it's a kit it will tell you on the tin how strong it should end up.

a long plastic (sanitizable) brewing spoon or paddle might be useful... but not essential if you've got a metal on plastic one in the kitchen.

Second what ManseMasher has said.

From your photo you seem to have bought a 1.5kg Youngs kit and 1 kg brewing sugar.
If you use those ingredients alone to make up your brew and go to the full 40 pints you will probably end up with quite a 'thin' bitter lacking in body. There isn't really enough malt in what you may have bought, one reason being that the Youngs one can kit is only 1.5kg.
To get round this I suggest you use all of the kit contents, but only half (0.5kg) of the brewing sugar and only make your brew up to 15 litres. This will give you something with an OG of about 1.042 and an abv of around 4% which is quite respectable, and the brewing sugar won't have drowned out the malt. The slight downside may be it will turn out slightly more hoppy than the 40 pint version, because you have concentrated your brew, but you may not worry about that.
Your wild card option is to get down to Holland and Barratt and buy two 0.5kg jars of their liquid Malt Extract and use that with the kit and 0.5 kg brewing sugar and make it up to 40 pints. I have used H&B malt before and its OK for brewing. This will give you a better balanced brew with an OG of about 1.040.

A thermometer i can get,also the hydrometer too no problems.I am only going to start after Christmas anyway,i just want to get that out of the way so maybe Sunday i might start.

And a very interesting post you made there Terrym,as i have said a few times i am just starting out on this hobby so every tip i read will make me a better brewer.Thanks.

A thermometer i can get,also the hydrometer too no problems.I am only going to start after Christmas anyway,i just want to get that out of the way so maybe Sunday i might start.

And a very interesting post you made there Terrym,as i have said a few times i am just starting out on this hobby so every tip i read will make me a better brewer.Thanks.

http://m.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/art/20103016/

I use one of these mate. Every brew you do will make you a better brewer - as I am fond of saying 'every day is a school day'.

I have banned myself from ever going to Ikea again,i detest the place.So, got any other places?:)

Would a strip do,the ones used for fish keeping.I kept tropical fish for years and they are very accurate.

A stick on thermometer that you put on the outside of the bucket will enable you to keep tabs on the beer temperature without opening the lid. And cost about �£1.50. Some are pretty accurate, others not, I've owned both!

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk...id-crystal-thermometer-10-to-40-oc-p-500.html

It's all you need for kit brewing. And I would get brew enhancer to use instead of the brewing sugar, it makes a better beer:

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/beer-kit-enhancer-1kg-p-184.html

Get a hydrometer while you're at it, �£2.50, tells you when fermentation is finished and how strong your beer is:

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.co.uk/hydrometer-p-94.html

You can get them all in Wilko. Where you could get a 500g pack of light dried malt extract, and use that instead of the beer enhancer - add 500g of your brewing sugar as well.

I could send the wifey,she likes Ikea..Me though,i would rather chew my own face off than go there ever again.

I could send the wifey,she likes Ikea..Me though,i would rather chew my own face off than go there ever again.

IMO you want a thermometer that doesn't interfere with the beer or require you to keep opening up the FV. Or just a room thermometer, and try to keep the air temperature around 17-18C. That's enough for now.

One obvious thing, are you bottling or barreling the beer? You'll need bottles or a barrel! If you're bottling you'll also need crown caps and a capper unless you plan to use plastic bottles with screw on lids.

If you're bottling I'd strongly recommend a bottling wand to go on the end of your siphon. Makes bottling day almost enjoyable.

One obvious thing, are you bottling or barreling the beer? You'll need bottles or a barrel! If you're bottling you'll also need crown caps and a capper unless you plan to use plastic bottles with screw on lids.

If you're bottling I'd strongly recommend a bottling wand to go on the end of your siphon. Makes bottling day almost enjoyable.

There's a list of stuff needed earlier in the thread.

This might sound a bit off, but I wouldn't take the words of an LHBS owner as gospel. They generally pretend they know what they are talking about, cos it's their business. A few do, a lot don't.

Latest posts

Back