Got some space in the bottle store now so...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poochops

Landlord.
Reaction score
I just ordered my grain for my next 6 brews :thumb: I thought I'd try the custom grain kit option on Geterbrewed for this one, all comes to 29kg which keeps the shipping cost to £5.95 according to their ts&cs. So I got the ingredients for...
Punk IPA clone, already have the hops
Tiny rebel Cwtch clone, again I have the hops in
Guiness extra stout inc hops
Old peculiar inc hops
Brewdog Brixton Porter inc hops.
And 5kg of MO which I'll use for a big IPA with hops from the freezer and crystal from the leftovers box.
All told it was £50 plus odds, add a fivers worth of yeast from CML and about £12 quid of hops from the freezer that gives me £67 for 240 very varied pints of foaming ale :whistle:
I've never actually worked it out before but that's 28p a pint on average, I'll take that all day long, only decision to make is what to brew first!

I just ordered my grain for my next 6 brews :thumb: I thought I'd try the custom grain kit option on Geterbrewed for this one, all comes to 29kg which keeps the shipping cost to �£5.95 according to their ts&cs. So I got the ingredients for...
Old peculiar inc hops
And 5kg of MO which I'll use for a big IPA with hops from the freezer and crystal from the leftovers box.
All told it was �£50 plus odds, add a fivers worth of yeast from CML and about �£12 quid of hops from the freezer that gives me �£67 for 240 very varied pints of foaming ale :whistle:
I've never actually worked it out before but that's 28p a pint on average, I'll take that all day long, only decision to make is what to brew first!
Did my own take on the brixton Porter a while back,turned out ok as well:thumb:

I just ordered my grain for my next 6 brews :thumb: I thought I'd try the custom grain kit option on Geterbrewed for this one, all comes to 29kg which keeps the shipping cost to �£5.95 according to their ts&cs. So I got the ingredients for...
Old peculiar inc hops
All told it was �£50 plus odds, add a fivers worth of yeast from CML and about �£12 quid of hops from the freezer that gives me �£67 for 240 very varied pints of foaming ale :whistle:
Did my own take on the brixton Porter a while back,ie tinkered with the DIY recipie,turned out ok as well:thumb:

Dark beers on first...for Xmas! Or ..my plan now it's getting cooler...2 at a time one in the fridge one on a heat pad....with inkbird.

Good call, I think I'll do the old peculiar first and then the Brixton porter I've got some hoppy brews still need drinking. I'm thinking of a strong black IPA for the MO looking for recipe inspirations :)

Where did you get the cwtch recipe?

Hi there are a few about but after reading this https://www.insidebeer.com/articles/20161123_3 and considering the hops in the kit, I've settled on this
FERMENTABLES:
3450 g - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale
450 g - German - CaraRed
225 g - German - Munich
225 g - United Kingdom - Wheat
225 g - United Kingdom - Crystal 60L

HOPS:
15 g - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.8, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 28.44
28 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.2, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 10.89
30 g - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.8, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 11.34
28 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.2, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
30 g - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.8, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
50 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.2, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

Good call, I think I'll do the old peculiar first and then the Brixton porter I've got some hoppy brews still need drinking. I'm thinking of a strong black IPA for the MO looking for recipe inspirations :)
Have done a few black ipa and a black rye ipa,however only lower abv ones.
This might be of some interest,other recipies at side of page:thumb:
Black Rye IPA Recipe

I bet they contact you and ask for more money to cover postage. I ordered goods under 30kg previously and had to pay more because packaging takes it over 30kg

I noticed that the Malt Miller delivery cost only goes up from �£7.20 to �£8.40 if you cross the 30kg threshold, their website calculates as well so it's not a surprise. Admittedly the �£7.20 is higher than GEB but it's worth knowing about.

Hi there are a few about but after reading this https://www.insidebeer.com/articles/20161123_3 and considering the hops in the kit, I've settled on this
FERMENTABLES:
3450 g - United Kingdom - Maris Otter Pale
450 g - German - CaraRed
225 g - German - Munich
225 g - United Kingdom - Wheat
225 g - United Kingdom - Crystal 60L

HOPS:
15 g - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.8, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 28.44
28 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.2, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 10.89
30 g - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.8, Use: Boil for 5 min, IBU: 11.34
28 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.2, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
30 g - Columbus, Type: Pellet, AA: 13.8, Use: Dry Hop for 3 days
50 g - Citra, Type: Pellet, AA: 14.2, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

The interesting thing about Cwtch is that you add the late hops to hot liquor for a short steep and leave the hops in for the entire fermentation. I've copied this technique to some extent after Joe at my LHBS told me it added an extra element to the flavour. He was right. I've made my hoppiest ever brews without using masses of expensive hops. I'll post a thread on this after a bit more experimentation. I think that unless you leave the late hops in it won't taste like Cwtch.

Duxuk You're right, it needs a tweak on the timings I will tinker with it, late hops could be steeped in a couple litres of flameout wort and then poured into the remaining chilled wort, then first dryhop after initial fermentation, then citra at end of fermentation for further 4-7 days. What do you think?

I noticed that the Malt Miller delivery cost only goes up from ��£7.20 to ��£8.40 if you cross the 30kg threshold, their website calculates as well so it's not a surprise. Admittedly the ��£7.20 is higher than GEB but it's worth knowing about.

I like MM a lot, but their website function for custom kits gives me a headache on the iPad, so I just thought I'd try GEB which was great actually, didn't compare costs from both but a fiver in either direction I can manage.
It's about having the whole grain bill in one bag with no leftovers for me, whatever's left in my leftovers box after using the spare 5kg of MO is going in the bin! I just don't have the space. Freezer needs a clear out too so that ones going to be a hoppy bugger!
I can do a black IPA I've got black, roast barley, brown, light crystal, crystal 120 cara 3, Torry wheat plus others and a shed load of hops.
Alternatively I might do a DIPA, brewdog mr president is a fave commercial brew of mine. No rush to decide though.

I like MM a lot, but their website function for custom kits gives me a headache on the iPad, so I just thought I'd try GEB which was great actually, didn't compare costs from both but a fiver in either direction I can manage.

It's about having the whole grain bill in one bag with no leftovers for me, whatever's left in my leftovers box after using the spare 5kg of MO is going in the bin! I just don't have the space. Freezer needs a clear out too so that ones going to be a hoppy bugger!

I can do a black IPA I've got black, roast barley, brown, light crystal, crystal 120 cara 3, Torry wheat plus others and a shed load of hops.

Alternatively I might do a DIPA, brewdog mr president is a fave commercial brew of mine. No rush to decide though.

I'm coming round to the idea of the custom kit wth no leftovers. I hadn't tried using the MM kit builder on the iPad so thanks for the heads up. I do like their malt selection too. Good luck with your brews, nice looking selection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bet they contact you and ask for more money to cover postage. I ordered goods under 30kg previously and had to pay more because packaging takes it over 30kg

Looks like it got through, dispatched today without the call for extra postage. Looking forward to getting a brew on on Saturday now :thumb:

Latest posts

Back