Grain Storage and use by date

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I had a hiatus from brewing for a year due to family etc, so back ready to brew again
So I have lots of kits and grain that I bought before my hiatus. 7 kits which are crushed and range being bought from 11/11/22 until 02/02/23. About 25kg of various crush grain which was bought 01/01/23 all have been stored in Air tight blue storage drums.
So here is the question will the kits and grain still be OK for brewing or an I wasting my time and should start buying again .
Thanks in advance

I would brew them and use the grain, my advice would be to smell the grain and even taste it if all seems ok fresh yeast and away.
I am surmising that the kits/grains have been stored cool and dry which is standard for most of us homebrewers.
Amazingly enough some of my milled grain has milled date and over a year of Best Before and that's from the suppliers

Hops in fridge or freezer? In the freezer I'd say they'll be fine...before kicking off tomorrow I'd check the hops if they've just been chilled.

I think the hops will be fine just smell them before brewing so you have chance to get fresher if needed but Vacuum packed in a fridge is how I store mine and always seem good to go for me.
athumb..

I had a hiatus from brewing for a year due to family etc, so back ready to brew again
So I have lots of kits and grain that I bought before my hiatus. 7 kits which are crushed and range being bought from 11/11/22 until 02/02/23. About 25kg of various crush grain which was bought 01/01/23 all have been stored in Air tight blue storage drums.
So here is the question will the kits and grain still be OK for brewing or an I wasting my time and should start buying again .
Thanks in advance
I brewed with a bag of crushed pale malt two weeks ago that was purchased in November 22 and had been sat in my garage opened (top rolled down) for over 9 months.

The beer came out nice

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back