Grainfather issues

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What Foxy has said, mine is a different machine but the same system and once doughed in a stir or 2 settles the flow rate down usually 1/2 bore and I have the pipe higher than the initial level by a few inches too

I think that Foxy nailed it. Better to find your own niche, play around with different ratios of grain to water. As a lurker on here and reading about full volume mashing, I converted to that and haven't looked back. Find what you are happy with. Yes I took a drop in efficiency, as mentioned it is just a number. High efficiency doesn't make for better beer, I would say the reverse was more apt.

I too do not chase numbers with eff as long as it is there or there abouts. Gone are the days of hours of fly sparging and spending on equipment to get me a couple more points just add a little more grain if need be and save your precious time

I too do not chase numbers with eff as long as it is there or there abouts. Gone are the days of hours of fly sparging and spending on equipment to get me a couple more points just add a little more grain if need be and save your precious time
Agreed, it isn't like we are brewing as a commercial venture where we have to watch our outlay. Why do we sparge? Because commercial breweries sparge, they also squeeze out every last drop of wort from the grain, luckily it isn't about money for us, just the enjoyment of brewing, and trying to get the best beer we can.

Agreed, it isn't like we are brewing as a commercial venture where we have to watch our outlay. Why do we sparge? Because commercial breweries sparge, they also squeeze out every last drop of wort from the grain, luckily it isn't about money for us, just the enjoyment of brewing, and trying to get the best beer we can.
Sparging is a relatively new concept in the history of brewing, before the sparge parti gyle was the norm. So the loss in efficiency can be recuperated with second runnings off the same grain bed. Reward being an easy drinking session beer.

Latest posts

Back