grape concentrate alternative for rhubarb wine...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skint_golfer

Reaction score
Hey folks!

I've just finished straining/pressing the rhubarb after about a week on the sugar and its come out looking lovely! I have my boiled water cooling and yeast to hand but there is one slight problem... grape concentrate...

My recepie (from gaurdian) calls for me to use it but I dont have any... so what are my alternatives?

I was toying with the idea of throwing a carton of apple juice or two in and turning it into a rhubarb and apple wine but I'm not sure what the results will be :wha:

so fire away! I have until my water cools :)

cheers all

Ahhhh... fair enough. I had a feeling you would all say that, it does raise one further question for me though...

how do I adjust quantities? I assume whatever I get from the supermarket isnt going to be as strong/pure as the stuff I would buy from my home brew shop so will I need more of it?

thanks

Post up the recipe and we'll have a look. You were toying with the idea of adding apple juice, so grape juice would be even better. It depends how much concentrate is asked for but I think the general rule of most concentrates is 1:4.

The trouble is that different concentrates will be at different levels. I wouldn't worry too much about it though. If the recipe calls for 500ml, I'd just use 2L.

Right, for 1 gallon:

1.5kg rhubard
1.3kg sugar
250ml white grape concentrate
general purpouse wine yeast
nutrient
pectolase

I've trippled everything as I'm making a 3 gallon brew.

so would 2 litres of juice be sufficient?

thanks.

I would have said 3L.

250ml of concentrate, IMO, is equivalent to 1L of grape juice.

3Gallons needs 750ml concentrate, therefor 3gallons needs 3L (4*750) of fresh.

Ah glad someone else has asked this question because I was going to!! Aldi WGP is nice and cheap as well, think it comes in at 86p for 1L

Hi folks.

I started to make the same wine but ran into the same problems. I couldn't get white grape juice however, the local lidl only had red grape juice. i realise it's going to give a different colour to the original recipe but will the taste be majory different?

Thanks in advance
Dave

no - white grape juice in a carton is nothing like grape juice concentrate.

Replace the concentrate with 500g raisins or sultanas (if it's not too late now)

shearclass said:
no - white grape juice in a carton is nothing like grape juice concentrate.
Spot on :thumb:

Grape Juice Concentrate or "Wine Enhancer" is pressed from mostly wine grapes, if you watered it down it probably wouldn't be nice to drink.

Supermarket grape juices are pressed from mostly dessert grapes, the sort you buy to eat. Even if those juices are "from concentrate", it's not the same concentrate.

Supermarket grape juices have their own uses but should be regarded as a great substitute for water in a recipe.

Thanks. In have the mix sitting in a bucket for the next week or so and then its to go in a demijohn. So I should add the raisins? 500gm for 250ml concentrate?

Grape concentrate, raisins are also a desert grape and not a wine grape so concentrate would be better.

i'd have to order it online and have it delivered so it would be tomorrow or the next day before i get it. at that stage, it'll be about 5 days on in the fermentation process. can i just add the grape fruit juice concentrate at any particular point considering it'll be going for a few months?

Back