Green cider and ham?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berrycrumble

Reaction score
We've finally bought our first tip of a home, and we're lucky enough to have some apple trees with it. After home-brewing our way though university (me foraged wine and my other half beer) we thought we'd give cider a go!

Our unknown variety of red eating apples were sat after picking about a week. We chopped, blitzed, crushed and juiced them, added them to sterilised demijohns with a campden tablet. We then proceeded to make a "ginger bug" which I had not attempted before. The recipe we followed is this one; https://www.growforagecookferment.com/fermented-apple-ginger-beer/.

We added the bug to the demijohn with a cup of castor sugar after 3 days, however within 13 hours our ginger and apple beer has turned swamp green! I can't smell anything particularly horrific. I Any ideas on what's happened? Have used no metals in the process and other than an old wooden apple press borrowed from a friend we've only used plastic and glass in the process.

Any cider Sherlock's out for us? I'm laughing just uploading these pictures, what a contrast!
IMG_3810.jpg
IMG_20181004_203334084.jpg

I did Apple wines from my parents' fruit trees almost 40 years ago and got some odd looking stuff during the process, for sure.

Recent experience is all with beer, really, but I can't see that there is any better advice than letting it run its course for now. If it is not obviously foul, then probably it isn't and all will be fine.

Odd indeed but I assume that there is some activity there. Can’t see the airlock but surface and bottom of the demijohn look like there is.

I agree with Slid let it run its course if it’s bubbling away.

Latest posts

Back