Greg Hughes Vienna Lager Recipe Errors

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wonder how much the average person can detect small changes in IBU's? For instance, would a change of 2 IBU's be readily detectable by your average drinker?

I think it might depend on how sensitive to bitterness you are. I've got a really sweet tooth and dont really like bitter things at all so I think I might have a particular sensitivity to bitterness.
For me when I upped the IBU's by 10 I could really taste the bitterness but if I didn't add any extra IBU's I found my beer was too sweet

I also think the types of beer I make have an influence on this. I normally make low to medium hopped styles so I think the 5IBU is more noticeable. If I was a massive hop head and was constantly making hop bombs I don't think the 5IBU would be noticeable at all and I wouldn't need to add it

I also think the types of beer I make have an influence on this. I normally make low to medium hopped styles so I think the 5IBU is more noticeable. If I was a massive hop head and was constantly making hop bombs I don't think the 5IBU would be noticeable at all and I wouldn't need to add it

Yes, it would certainly be scalable. I've also read that bitterness tops out at xxIBU's where beer then becomes 'none more bitter' or as it's otherwise known 'American Craft'.

In a similar fashion, I read somewhere humans can only detect bitterness/IBU's up to a certain level anyway

Yes, I think the limits of Human perceptions is more likely to be the case.

..and surely that is different in every person too.

On a vaguely related note, I've often wondered why the Americans like their beer so bitter, when they are known for having a sweet tooth. They normally add sugar to everything, they have syrup on their breakfast, I've even seen someone put jam on a hot dog.! So why do they like their beers so enamel strippingly bitter?

Also detection of differences is usually related to percentage difference and not absolute values so it may be so with bitterness as well e.g. A 4IBU difference would be easily detectable in a lager but not in a more heavily hopped beer.

Also detection of differences is usually related to percentage difference and not absolute values so it may be so with bitterness as well e.g. A 4IBU difference would be easily detectable in a lager but not in a more heavily hopped beer.

I mentioned this a bit earlier in the thread but t you put it more scientifically :thumb:

Thats what I get for skimming through the thread in the car.
I would also say that sometimes personal perception of it just varies as well, I have had the same commercial beer on different days from the same batch and it has tasted totally different in terms of bitterness, I have seen food scientists being critical of the chili heat (scoville ?) scale becuase personal perception of heat changes depending on a number of environmental factors (e.g. food intake that day and a whole host of other reasons). Don't get me wrong I love the software modelling and use it myself but given the severe flaws in it I would trade it in for a few more years of brewing experience like a flash.

Thats what I get for skimming through the thread in the car.
I would also say that sometimes personal perception of it just varies as well, I have had the same commercial beer on different days from the same batch and it has tasted totally different in terms of bitterness, I have seen food scientists being critical of the chili heat (scoville ?) scale becuase personal perception of heat changes depending on a number of environmental factors (e.g. food intake that day and a whole host of other reasons). Don't get me wrong I love the software modelling and use it myself but given the severe flaws in it I would trade it in for a few more years of brewing experience like a flash.

Totally agree here. I bet head brewers with donkey's years of brewing experience dont use brewing softwate

Back