Greggs publish details of its steak bake recipe - here's how to make it at home

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
1587663753433.png

Bakery chain Greggs has unveiled the recipe for its iconic steak bake - allowing foodie fans to make them at home during lockdown.

Along with other high street businesses across the UK, Greggs was forced to close its doors last month due to government lockdown measures, which left customers unable to purchase their favourite snacks.

Now, Greggs has released its surprisingly simple recipes and DIY tutorials for both the iconic steak bake and the chicken bake, as well as its sausage, cheese and bean melt, for customers to try at home.

How to make the Steak Bake
To make the steak bake, you’ll need:
  • Finely diced beef
  • Beef stock
  • Cornflour mixed with water
  • Puff pastry
  • One egg
Instructions for the filling mix:
  • Sizzle the beef in a frying pan until browned
  • Pour the beef stock into the pan before adding the cornflour mix
  • Allow the mix to thicken to your tastes and leave to cool
Instructions for the pastry:
  • Cut two pieces of pastry, into squares measuring 180mm x 94 mm to be precise
  • Egg wash the edges
Instructions for the steak bake:
  • Spoon your filling onto one of the sheets of pastry
  • Place the other sheet on top
  • Fork the edges of the sheets to lock them in place
  • Score the top with 6 lines
  • Place the uncooked pastry into the oven at 200C, or until golden brown and piping hot

I am no baker but those instructions seem a bit lacking in detail if i followed them i wouldn't end up with something like the pies in the picture.

Seriously I reckon you'd be better off stuffing it with Pedigree Chum! That meat'll be as tough as old boots!

The filling will be cooked in a quavac pressure vessel or similar in large batches, the pastry will be laminated the process will be finished on an automated rondo or similar maybe 8 lanes wide into a blast chiller then deep freeze then sold as a fresh baked slice, baked fresh on the day

The filling will be cooked in a quavac pressure vessel or similar in large batches, the pastry will be laminated the process will be finished on an automated rondo or similar maybe 8 lanes wide into a blast chiller then deep freeze then sold as a fresh baked slice, baked fresh on the day

So not lovingly handcooked by artisanal mermaids in woodfired elven ovens then?

Oh i love a good steak bake from gregs. But as i work from home or work at the customers head office miles from a gregs, its a naughty i rarely get to have,
However their recipe is nowhere near what they actually do - my wife used to be a food product development manager for a 'meat company' that did amongst other things -pies. It would boggle most peoples minds the automation and science thats behind mass baking such simple products.

Latest posts

Back