Growing trend.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dennisking

Regular.
Reaction score
A piece in the papers today says the sales of beer kits is up 70% because of the economic climate. My big worry is the government will see it as a tax opportunity.

if they do raise tax on home brew kits etc, which would be pretty odd, then everyone will have to switch to the dark side of brewing mmwahahahahahaaaaa.

the_power_of_the_dark_stout-625x532.jpg

Good pic would be Awesome with a THBF glass rather than a commercial guiness glass :D

dennisking said:
A piece in the papers today says the sales of beer kits is up 70% because of the economic climate. My big worry is the government will see it as a tax opportunity.

Even without knowing the numbers, I guess that in comparison to commercial beer/lager production the proportion of homebrewed is a minute amount. And everytrhing homebrew is already attracting VAT @ 20% - putting some sort of additional beer tax on it would be quite an expensive task, unless the tax is collected on leaving the factory. And then there are grains and adjuncts, etc etc. Anbd don't forget winemaking .....

You could still make WOW and TC George isn't going to tax one of your five a day now is he. :hmm:

I can't see it happening. Extra taxes wouldn't really help them as people would just find a way around it, plus it'd just make the government really unpopular :cheers:

mark1964 said:
This country is going down hill fast I blame the **** holes in London complete tossers

Does that include that Scottish T*at that got us into this mess as well as those empowered to try and get us out of it. :lol: :lol:

Oh and the bankers.

oz11 said:
Keep quiet? Better delete this thread then!

There is exactly same concern here in Poland. Somebody will calculate missing excise, multiply 3x, and voila, "we should tax homebrewing like Germans do, just look at the numbers!".

Back