GrowlingDog Throw it in a pan BrewDay

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Runwell-Steve

Landlord.
Reaction score
Tomorrow I shall be brewing, there may even be some photos as I tidied the garage today.

I've just sorted out the grain bill, based on what needs using up.

42 Litre Brew Length

6kg Crisp Pale Malt
1kg Wheat Malt
1kg Vienna
.6kg Oat Malt

I'll think about the hops overnight, but Experimental 366 will play a part in it as I have 100g of that I want to use.

Really hope I get my mash temp first time, I've been a few degrees cold lately so I'm going to up the strike liquor a few degrees to 76 and see how I get on.
I always used to hit temps spot on with 73 degree liquor but I've been falling short lately and not really sure why. If its too hot I can easily cool it, that is easier than heating it up.

caerleon said:
Wanna borrow my Braumeister? *ducks from all the flying bottles*

Good luck with the brew!

I would love to do a brew on one, just so I can pass judgement with some knowledge. I have no problem with new gadgets making things simpler and easier. Plenty of people spend money trying to automate their brewery, I don't see the difference really.

Being an Process Engineer by trade, i spend most of my time stamping out variation in any process - the same with brewing. I found that when i repeated the same kit i would get a much different result. The i got all analysis bug and started measuring grain temps before adding them to the liqour and i found i lost a lot of variation when mashing and started to get some quite reasonable efficiencies. I agree that the kit is expensive and there are a few minor issues, but for the most part it does as it is told and i get much better efficiencies = repeatability.

I would loan it too you, but i would need your car as security =)

Just getting organised, later start than planned.

Everything out ready, the grains are ready weighed out in the old small fermenting bins.

IMG_1294_zpsf28584d8.jpg

Firing up the brewery to give it all a rinse through with water.

IMG_1295_zps00bef7cf.jpg

HLT heating up now being recirculated with the aid of a solar pump and tattoo power supply.

IMG_1297_zpse1ea8658.jpg

Finally got the mash on at 11.30, a little hot this time but close enough. Happy for this to end up a little sweet as I think I'll end up with a high IBU. I'll work out the hop additions in a bit but I think most will be going in late.

Latest posts

Back