Harlequin & Most Hops

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a single hop IPA with Möst, additions in the boil whirlpool and dry hop. I wasn't very nice. Overwhelmingly herbal tea flavours and aroma. Some of the good stuff malt miller were selling us were there, but in the background.
Interested to hear how you get on with Harlequin.

I've got a Möst single hop Pale Ale on tap at the moment. I like it, but it's not what it's being sold as. Like Olicana I find it has a dominant 'spicyness' (maybe the herbal tea flavour little_wings describes, I'm **** as describing taste) but better than Olicana because the spicyness is slightly less strong and there is a nicer fruity flavour behind it. I brewed a similar beer with Olicana and it was undrinkable so it's an improvement on that!

My advice is to use it with restraint like an English hop. I think it would make a lovely bitter combined with another English hop but selling this as a US hop replacement is really misleading IMO. But if someone has managed to get those fruity flavours out of it I'd love to know, I bought 300g of it :oops:

Haha Olicana is the worst.

Möst may have potential in something more traditional I agree. OP take this mans advice!

I've got a Möst single hop Pale Ale on tap at the moment. I like it, but it's not what it's being sold as. Like Olicana I find it has a dominant 'spicyness' (maybe the herbal tea flavour little_wings describes, I'm **** as describing taste) but better than Olicana because the spicyness is slightly less strong and there is a nicer fruity flavour behind it. I brewed a similar beer with Olicana and it was undrinkable so it's an improvement on that!

My advice is to use it with restraint like an English hop. I think it would make a lovely bitter combined with another English hop but selling this as a US hop replacement is really misleading IMO. But if someone has managed to get those fruity flavours out of it I'd love to know, I bought 300g of it :oops:

I thought it was too good to be true.
I’ll use them up in stouts then as they are not what I wanted.

Farams gave Harlequin to 5 Canadian breweries to play with to make a sour, a kolsch, a golden ale, an American brown ale and a 100IBU West Coast IPA (which brings out a pineapple jam character apparently) and the brewers discussed their experiences - there's 5 minutes of introduction then each brewer gets ~10 minutes followed by a Q&A, the second one (15 min) is really bad quality audio. They're planning 24 acres of Harlequin this year, which is a significant commitment.

Just cracked open the first bottle of a Harlequin English IPA brew, been bottle conditioned for only 2 weeks so still a bit immature but it’s very different to any other English hop I’ve used to date. Caramelised orange and peachy. It’s bittered to 50ish IBU, with Harlequin. The bitterness balances the fruitiness well...so far.

I had 200g of Mystic delivered from MM last week, the next brew will be a simple pale with a lot of that thrown in

I made an American IPA with Möst. I managed to get a strawberry aroma at room temperature off it. It's been one of my favourite brews this year

Back