Have a go at simple AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lost a good part of the morning reading this - cracking post. Made a Range kit IPA before Xmas , want to take it a step further now.

Going to go hunting for a shiny 15l stock pot down Wilkos.

Question: Any good online places for ordering the ingredients & brew bag ?

Or can anyone Leicestershire side recommend a good HB shop ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lost a good part of the morning reading this - cracking post. Made a Range kit IPA before Xmas , want to take it a step further now.

Going to go hunting for a shiny 15l stock pot down Wilkos.

Question: Any good online places for ordering the ingredients & brew bag ?

Or can anyone Leicestershire side recommend a good HB shop ?

Get er brewed do custom grain kits so you can make up small batches without any waste plus there's the 5% forum discount.http://www.geterbrewed.com/customized-grain-kit-en/

I mashed at the top end suggested of 70°. Fermentation stopped at 1.020. I was then told that mashing at that temp will cause the release of non-fermentable sugars and doing it a couple of degrees lower will release more fermentable sugars giving a lower FG.

Yes. 67 is a kind of sweet spot. But be careful, even a degree lower will get you a dry beer. You can step mash then you'll get a balance. But really play with your equipment to see what works.

Cheers, I used it last night but the 5% wasn't discounted on a 'customised grain kit' I'm thinking maybe you need to spend a certain amount to qualify.

I have asked them to have a look at your post :thumb:

Cheers, I used it last night but the 5% wasn't discounted on a 'customised grain kit' I'm thinking maybe you need to spend a certain amount to qualify.

Could be the cut&paste vs type the code out manually thing. One of our forumites who does coding (or whatever the relevant computer thingyness is called) explained how, if theres's some sort of space at the end (which isnt visible) of the code it wont work- I probably didnt explain theat very well but I'm a bit of a computer luddite

I think someone has queried it already and the code isn't valid on custom kits.

Cheers guys, It recognised the code it just didn't deliver the goods, so I reckon it is the custom kit purchase.

For the custom grain kits we cant currently offer 5% off, we had a bespoke piece of software created to offer this service and there is no facility to offer 5% off the custom kits, these kits should be the best value anywhere as you are only paying per gram.

Not to say we wont update it during our next update but at the minute we are confident we are the best price out there

Thanks

Jonathan

Hey everyone, I've just bought 1kg Maris otter so I can do this :)I've got cascade, Saaz, hallertua and hersbruker pellets in the freezer could anyone help me choose some hops and quantities, I'm not fussy I wouldn't mind a nice late addition for a bigger flavour. Also I've got a brew fermenting at the mo with a safale us-05 I'm thinking of doing a bit of a "craigtube" and scoop up some yeast afterwards into a jar and dump some in this brew as I have no yeast laying around. Is this a good idea? Any tips greatly appreciated

Jake

For the custom grain kits we cant currently offer 5% off, we had a bespoke piece of software created to offer this service and there is no facility to offer 5% off the custom kits, these kits should be the best value anywhere as you are only paying per gram.

Not to say we wont update it during our next update but at the minute we are confident we are the best price out there

Thanks

Jonathan

Cheers Jonathan, it's great for me, just starting out with stove top AG brewing, order exactly what I need without waste. :thumb:

Hey everyone, I've just bought 1kg Maris otter so I can do this :)I've got cascade, Saaz, hallertua and hersbruker pellets in the freezer could anyone help me choose some hops and quantities, I'm not fussy I wouldn't mind a nice late addition for a bigger flavour. Also I've got a brew fermenting at the mo with a safale us-05 I'm thinking of doing a bit of a "craigtube" and scoop up some yeast afterwards into a jar and dump some in this brew as I have no yeast laying around. Is this a good idea? Any tips greatly appreciated

Jake

I'd use the cascade to go with Marris Otter as the other hops are really lagertype hops so you'd want to use pilsner/lager/munich/vienna base malt with them.
As for the yeast sure. Harvest some of the US-05 and chuck it in this brew 40ml-50ml should do the trick for 5L brewlength

Jackeyboi, check out some vids on collecting your yeast after each brew. You can use the same strain for about 10 pitches. You could probably do more but I wouldn't push it.
You'll find vids on washing your yeast which I used to do but it adds stress to the yeast. Now I just collect in one large, sterile, jar. Let sit for an hour or two then pour the top part into another sterile jar. That top part is the active yeast. After, just put in your fridge and you can store them up to 3 months. Some do longer but again, I wouldn't push it.

Back