Have a go at simple AG

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would test a small bottle after one week warm conditioning to make sure it's ready to cold condition.

I bottled my first try the other day and trail jar tasted quite nice. I'm planning leaving it for a few weeks at least as i usually leave my kits for 2 to 3 months. Got my next batch ready for brewing maybe in the next day or two. Got a bigger bag for this so hopefully closer to SG this time. My last one did end up at 4 % so not a disaster :drink:

hops and malt arrived today :clap:

got all my stuff ready to go,,,,

but before i started i thought i would (out of curiousity) weigh the malt...

oredered 3 kg,,it says 3kg on the bag,,,but only has 2.5kg :mad::mad::mad:

20150413_154855_zpshhugoaho.jpg

gutted

I bottled my first try the other day and trail jar tasted quite nice. I'm planning leaving it for a few weeks at least as i usually leave my kits for 2 to 3 months. Got my next batch ready for brewing maybe in the next day or two. Got a bigger bag for this so hopefully closer to SG this time. My last one did end up at 4 % so not a disaster :drink:

Don't leave your first one alone for a few weeks. Try one after two weeks in the bottle. This is AG land, not beer kit never never land. :-P :drink:

hops and malt arrived today :clap:

got all my stuff ready to go,,,,

but before i started i thought i would (out of curiousity) weigh the malt...

oredered 3 kg,,it says 3kg on the bag,,,but only has 2.5kg :mad::mad::mad:

gutted

That's shocking! Name and shame! And contact the seller and make sure you get the rest sent immediately, and something by way of compensation. Like another 3kg for free!

That's shocking! Name and shame! And contact the seller and make sure you get the rest sent immediately, and something by way of compensation. Like another 3kg for free!

it was get er brewed..
i called them and explained. she said the shop was closed but she will send out the rest tomorrow,
i dont want to open the bag and make a start cause as soon as i open it i no longer have proof..

Half a kilo out is ridiculous. They're in the wrong job! Or a bunch of crooks.

I must admit despite their prices being good I have found geterbrewed mess up a fair bit on orders. I ordered 1kg dme once and only 500 turned up and I ordered some no rinse sanitiser in a large order and it was missed off.. They have rectified it always but you shouldn't need to check and 500 grams is pretty poor.I just had a bag of grains from them so I may check actually myself. If this is wrong I will pay the extra and go to another supplier in the future.

Thanks

I checked mine when I got home, mine are all okay in fact some are over.. my munich malt which i only ordered 500 I have about 600 and my pilsner which I only ordered about 2.5 I have nearly 3

Having managed to create a drinkable AG brew using this recipe and with a second batch on the go, my confidence is growing with regard to AG brewing.

I enjoy the occasional single malt peated whisky and so I would like to have a go at creating a smokey peated beer.

I have put in an order for 500g Chateau Peated Malt, 500g Chateau Whisky Malt, 3kg Maris Otter Malt, 500g Crystal Malt and some Fuggles hops.

I am planning on using this recipe to make a 4.5 liter batch and once I get it tweaked to my taste brew a larger batch.

I was planning on using the following quantities:

1200g Maris Otter
200g Crystal Malt
70g Peated Malt
10g Fuggle Hops
5 g Belma Hops
5g Irish Moss
Safebrew T58 Yeast

Does anybody have any info on how much of the peated or whisky malt to use? I have done a little research and found recipes where 100% peated malt is used and others who say 2% peated is too much.

Using the recipe above would be 4.7% peated malt.

Any advice gratefully recieved :confused:

Bottled mine today after 10 days in the fv. I followed the simple recipe, took slightly longer than i expected, but most of that was due to having never attempted an AG brew before. I doubled the quantity, but using an aga gave me a slight issue as the boil was very vigorous and it was difficult to prevent it boiling over. Although i realized that the warming oven is the perfect temp for mashing so i left my pot in there!

Thanks to clibit for the thread, i have just brought a 30l buffalo boiler on the cheap from Nisbets reconditioned ebay shop...... so going to have to see how i can best use that for my next one!

I was planning on using the following quantities:

1200g Maris Otter
200g Crystal Malt
70g Peated Malt
10g Fuggle Hops
5 g Belma Hops
5g Irish Moss
Safebrew T58 Yeast

Does anybody have any info on how much of the peated or whisky malt to use? I have done a little research and found recipes where 100% peated malt is used and others who say 2% peated is too much.

Using the recipe above would be 4.7% peated malt.

Any advice gratefully recieved :confused:

I've never used peated malt so I don't know, but from what I've read it's wise to go easy until you know how strong the taste is. Apparently Stones Smoked Porter has 3-4% peated malt. I've never tasted it though!

Thanks Clibit,

I will probably go ahead with the quantities I have mentioned and see what I end up with. I can tweak them next time if required. :drink:

Daz

I did a kilo of Maris otter with galaxy 5g boil and 10 g at flame out. It worked pretty well but I didn't strain out hops so they went into the demijohn. It's very very hoppy.

Have done two other brews since then and now do second hop addition with ten minutes to go and strain them.

A little update on my galaxy SMaSH. A couple of weeks on and it's mellowed out a bit. Very tasty now. Soon I'll be doing it again with a different yeast to see the difference that makes. So much fun.

I just did my first AG brew this afternoon, after being inspired by this post and getting the ingredients a few weeks ago!

I had 1kg of Marris Otter, and used 5g if Galena for bittering (came across it as a Cascade alternative last year) and 10g of Cascade as flavour hop.
Had a bit of fun getting used to Mashing / Sparging.

My biggest pot is only 5.25L, so ended the boil with just under 4L @ 1.070, so liquored back to about 1.050 @ 5L.

I doubt I'll be doing another 5L AG brew, as it's a lot of effort for 8-10 pints!
Tempted to buy a 15L pot & do 10-12L batches of AG occasionally!

Here's a few pics :)

All Doughed in (not much headspace!)
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430072759.356426.jpg

Ready for Sparging
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430072800.991330.jpg

The hops
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430072823.950526.jpg

Boil starting
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430072842.579140.jpg

Cooling
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430072854.485201.jpg

Odd looking concoction!
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430072881.248600.jpg

Wrapped up to maintain temp & avoid sunlight.
View attachment ImageUploadedByTapatalk1430072904.858015.jpg

Great photos, thanks for posting. Great idea to get a bigger pot and double the amount you make.

Back