Have i just made a mistake & more questions

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shenty

Reaction score
Hi guys - revived newbie here.

Only did a couple of barrels about 8 yrs ago & wasn't overly impressed but kept most of the kit & passed the homebrew stuff in Wilkos the other week & thought ya know what i'm gonna try again. So i've been doing some research & youtube hunting & restocked with the items that got thrown away & keeping finding myself with questions.

Yesterday i bottled some & barrelled the rest of a Woodfordes Wherry Real Ale kit. For the 1st time i used a packet of beer finings. I added this after 4 or 5 days to the fermenting barrel. Did i add this at the right time ? Thats 1 question.

Next question, when i bottled/barrelled i opened a pack of beer enhancer to use instead of sugar (only ever used granulated before), measured out 110g & put half teaspoon (actually 2.5ml side of medicine spoon) in each bottle & tipped the rest into the barrel. Was i OK doing this or have i upset the balance of either or aerated the beer ? (I've read its not good to bottle from the barrel after its secondary fermentation) but i 'think' what i did was secondary at that stage.

Question 3 - because i am prepared to be more patient this time round (instead of 'ahem taste testing after 7 days in the barrel - i am actually going to wait the recommended 2-3 weeks this time so it doesn't all run out by the time its reached its best), anyway i bought a Coopers Stout kit to try. After fully sterilising ALL the equipment i heated the wort, tipped it into the fermenting tub, then realised i only had a 1kg bag minus 110g of beer enhancer, so i used 110g of caster sugar.......is that an oooops moment or will things work out ok.

I know the stout has only been in the fermenter for 6 hours but a sneak peak under the lid it looks kind of flat. No bubbles like the Wherry kit did. Or is that my impatience showing and does it take a day before the familiar bubbles & light brown yeasty residue appears around the top of the tub.?

Do i add finings to a stout when the time comes ? (And when is that ?)

My fermenting tub has no hole in the top for an airlock & bung, can i cut one into it or not ?

I am fermenting with the lid of the tub on but not clicked all round - its this OK?

On the Wherry kit i started i forgot to take an SG before adding the yeast but did so straight after - is that already too late ? It read 1032 (as close as i could make out) but the next day it was 1052 !!! Can i take either of these as a SG to go with the 1014-1016 FG after 6 days fermenting to work out an approx ABV.?

So many questions i keeping i need answers too........oh yeah i got the bug for this homebrewing & look forward to any help & advise.

Cheers guys :) :cheers:

first off Welcome to the forum.

Q1. No problem it will be fine.
Q2 No problem it will be fine.
Q3. No problem it will be fine.

As you can see you are worrying for no reason. Enjoy. :thumb: :cheers:

coopers stout does have a reputation of going mad (mine did second day), so be ready for some leakage!! the lid just resting on the top is fine as nothing can get in with the gas escaping....also no need to add finings as its a stout so it wont be clear and most stuff will drop out of suspension after time in the bottles or keg anyway :cheers:

thanks both of you :cheers:

any idea how to fast forward time 2 weeks so i can bring them back with me to present day ? :rofl:

Back