Hazelwood’s Brewday Part 2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another couple of beers kegged today; Pirate Pale and Full English Best Bitter.
IMG_6485.jpeg

IMG_6486.jpeg

I do have another new bitter (Amber Alert) ready to be kegged but don’t have a spare keg. Fortunately my current keg of Pirate Pale is about to kick so I expect I’ll be able to keg the new bitter tomorrow.

Today I kegged the Brut IPA. The flavours at this point are a fairly non-descript “tropical” flavour and citrus fruits (orange, lime, grapefruit). The overall impression is a bit like Opal fruit sweets and a bit mouth-watering.

The aroma is a bit less impressive but I’m hoping 25g of Citra cryo hops in the keg will resolve that. I normally use leaf hops in the keg (in a hop spider) because I’m a bit paranoid about fouling the poppets but of course cryo hops are only available in pellet form so I’m using a hop tea bag.

The finishing gravity is 1.001 giving me an ABV just a shade under 6.2%, both metrics are within spec. So far I’m thinking this will be a nice beer. It looks like it will be the same colour as my post 868 in this thread once it clears. The beer is sitting in my brew shed at 60 psi to get it carbonated.

View attachment 98564
View attachment 98565
1.001 ashock1

Today I kegged a new bitter, Amber Alert. I’d planned for it to be a Best Bitter with the ABV at the top end but overshot slightly because the yeast attenuated a little more than expected. It’s ended up at 5.1% but I’m fine with that.

The colour looks to be where I wanted it but the flavour is a bit like Proper Job with a little caramel and not quite as intended. It will change as the beer conditions so I have interesting days ahead.

IMG_6495.jpeg

I’ve just cleaned my beer lines and decided which beers to put on for some friends coming round tomorrow. While I was at it I tried the Brut IPA for the first time since kegging it 4 days ago. It’s nicely carbonated with a big foamy head as it should be. Clarity isn’t there yet but I’d expect this to take up to a couple of weeks. The flavour is interesting because at the moment it tastes like a good quality low alcohol IPA despite being over 6% - I wasn’t expecting that!

IMG_6501.jpeg

Back