Hazelwood’s Brewday Part 2

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another couple of beers kegged today; Pirate Pale and Full English Best Bitter.
IMG_6485.jpeg

IMG_6486.jpeg

I do have another new bitter (Amber Alert) ready to be kegged but don’t have a spare keg. Fortunately my current keg of Pirate Pale is about to kick so I expect I’ll be able to keg the new bitter tomorrow.

Today I kegged the Brut IPA. The flavours at this point are a fairly non-descript “tropical” flavour and citrus fruits (orange, lime, grapefruit). The overall impression is a bit like Opal fruit sweets and a bit mouth-watering.

The aroma is a bit less impressive but I’m hoping 25g of Citra cryo hops in the keg will resolve that. I normally use leaf hops in the keg (in a hop spider) because I’m a bit paranoid about fouling the poppets but of course cryo hops are only available in pellet form so I’m using a hop tea bag.

The finishing gravity is 1.001 giving me an ABV just a shade under 6.2%, both metrics are within spec. So far I’m thinking this will be a nice beer. It looks like it will be the same colour as my post 868 in this thread once it clears. The beer is sitting in my brew shed at 60 psi to get it carbonated.

View attachment 98564
View attachment 98565
1.001 ashock1

Today I kegged a new bitter, Amber Alert. I’d planned for it to be a Best Bitter with the ABV at the top end but overshot slightly because the yeast attenuated a little more than expected. It’s ended up at 5.1% but I’m fine with that.

The colour looks to be where I wanted it but the flavour is a bit like Proper Job with a little caramel and not quite as intended. It will change as the beer conditions so I have interesting days ahead.

IMG_6495.jpeg

I’ve just cleaned my beer lines and decided which beers to put on for some friends coming round tomorrow. While I was at it I tried the Brut IPA for the first time since kegging it 4 days ago. It’s nicely carbonated with a big foamy head as it should be. Clarity isn’t there yet but I’d expect this to take up to a couple of weeks. The flavour is interesting because at the moment it tastes like a good quality low alcohol IPA despite being over 6% - I wasn’t expecting that!

IMG_6501.jpeg

On this lovely sunny morning I’m brewing another batch of Pirate Pale. I’ve made some small changes to the recipe in this batch the most significant being mashing 1 degree warmer, fermenting 1degree cooler, and swapping my usual Liberty Bell yeast to US-05. Actually, when I say fermenting 1 degree cooler I don’t actually control the fermentation temperature, just the ambient temperature in my fermentation cabinet.

IMG_6768.jpeg

On this lovely sunny morning I’m brewing another batch of Pirate Pale. I’ve made some small changes to the recipe in this batch the most significant being mashing 1 degree warmer, fermenting 1degree cooler, and swapping my usual Liberty Bell yeast to US-05. Actually, when I say fermenting 1 degree cooler I don’t actually control the fermentation temperature, just the ambient temperature in my fermentation cabinet.

View attachment 100343

I’m convinced it’s happier not being straight jacketed to exactly X degrees.

Looking nice! I brewed yesterday but have decided not to brew for a while now, unless I time it during a period of cooler, rainy weather.

We've had fairly warm weather for the past 2 weeks with temps steady around 25c, and it just gets too warm in the kitchen to brew, I think the kitchen was close to 30c when the boil was done...

Today I’ve decided to brew another batch of my “Full English” best bitter. Again a couple of minor changes - 50 grams less of dark crystal to lighten the colour a shade, and extra 5 grams of bittering hops for a touch more bitterness, and 1C lower fermentation (as this beer will be fermenting with the Pirate Pale). This is a glass of the wort at the end of the mash and before the sparge.

IMG_6777.jpeg

and 1C lower fermentation

That makes me think. I've recently wondered if there is anything new under the sun. I thought there was no such thing as a red lager, there is. Then I thought surely nobody has made a black saison, yes they have. So I have been trying to think of something I can brew that isn't a style. As I'm doing a cold black IPA (an IPA, made dark and fermented with lager yeast), I'm wondering what a cold bitter would be like. I haven't googled it yet so don't know if it already exists.

That makes me think. I've recently wondered if there is anything new under the sun. I thought there was no such thing as a red lager, there is. Then I thought surely nobody has made a black saison, yes they have. So I have been trying to think of something I can brew that isn't a style. As I'm doing a cold black IPA (an IPA, made dark and fermented with lager yeast), I'm wondering what a cold bitter would be like. I haven't googled it yet so don't know if it already exists.
An English bitter should have some esters, you might find it just doesn’t quite taste like a bitter?

Latest posts

Back