Headspace for 3068

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveozzz

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a first time brewer planning on using Wyeast 3068 (yes slight case of running before I can walk probably) along with the Coopers wheat kit. Been doing a fair bit of reading about 3068 and am a bit concerned about headspace.
I have what the shop referred to as a 5 gallon fermenting bin which, according to the graduations on the outside, takes about 31-33 litres if filled to the brim.
The instructions on 3068 say it needs 33% headspace. So if I brew the 23 litre kit in the above bin, would I have enough headspace to get away with using just an airlock?
I was planning on pitching the 3068 immediately after activation (ie. not making a starter) if that makes a difference.
Thanks for any pointers.

I wouldn't bother with the airlock - wihtout one it's VERY active but wo;t always climb out of the bucket. 23 litres in a 30 litre bbucket should be fine - you can always use a sanitised spoon to take the top layer off if necessary.

Make a starter! Under pitching is desired in a wheat beer but not by that much . . .Or do you mean that you are going to activate it wait for it to swell and then pitch? . . . Even in that case I would still make a small starter the day before brewing

You might get away with it depending on fermentation temperature . . . let it get warm (>20C) and the odds are you will have a messy floor

Much safer with wheat yeasts to stand the FV in a container to prevent fall out

Aleman said:
Make a starter! Under pitching is desired in a wheat beer but not by that much . . .Or do you mean that you are going to activate it wait for it to swell and then pitch? . . . Even in that case I would still make a small starter the day before brewing

Ah - glad I mentioned the starter. I was all set to make a starter but I looked at the Wyeast website and read that you didn't need to. But turns out I had been reading the instructions for 3068 Activator - whereas I've got 3068 Propagator - so yes - I'll need to make one!

I have a snap-on lid with a bung with a hole for the airlock.
So am I getting this right... should I be sitting the FV in another container, seal up the airlock hole on the lid, and just lay the lid on without snapping it shut, so that anything that needs to escape can?

Smack pack once swollen will work OK - as aleman says a starter could help but the activator packs in date are good enough to pitch direct if fully swollen. I've just used the white labs equivalent and split a vial between two batches (1 of 19; 1 of 16l ) so ridiculously under pitching it - not recommended but had no choice as vial only arrived morning of the brew! - however that still fermented out fine.

Can I ask another (probably stupid) question about Wyeast 3068.? I've established that since I've got the Propagator pack I need to make a starter.

Making a 2 L starter involves 200g DME according to the Wyeast packet.
Then the directions for the Coopers kit I have say I need 500g DME + 300g dextrose... but it expects me to be using the dried yeast which comes with the kit.

My question is, do I subtract the 200g DME in the starter from the 500g required by the kit? So I'd be adding my 2L starter to 300g DME + 300g dextrose.
Does that sound right?

daveozzz said:
My question is, do I subtract the 200g DME in the starter from the 500g required by the kit? So I'd be adding my 2L starter to 300g DME + 300g dextrose.
Does that sound right?

Not strictly necessary to do a starter for a weissen but good idea (though a smack pack expanded is perfectly pitchable as is). And no don't subtract it - you're only adding ther yeast so if possible leave it to settle and pour off the liquid then just add the yeast slurry - it will have fermented out the sugars in the starter.

Thanks - I started the main fermentation yesterday afternoon and had realised the subtraction wasn't the way to go.
Doesn't half take off quickly - it had started climbing out of the bucket by this morning.

Back