Headspace question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AndyRVTR

Reaction score
Hi all, I have racked my WOW into DJ's added stabiliser and finings, but after the initial racking there is a bit of headspace left in the DJ's, (to bottom of neck), any suggestions on what could I top this up with??
Cheers :cheers:

Cooled, boiled water.

If you want to sweeten slightly, top up with grape juice.

Alternatively, top up with a previously finished wine, although you may have to drink the rest of the bottle. Ain't life a bitch some times?

Yes in theory but unless you have miles of head space, then its not really going to be that worrying. One thing you could do thinking about it, is, rack, top up with WGJ, allow it to ferment that WGJ back out again then rack again and on the second racking you will lose (I think) very little as there will be only a small amount of sediment.

Yes in theory but unless you have miles of head space, then its not really going to be that worrying. One thing you could do thinking about it, is, rack, top up with WGJ, allow it to ferment that WGJ back out again then rack again and on the second racking you will lose (I think) very little as there will be only a small amount of sediment.

So if I added the WGJ, (bearing in mind i've already added stabiliser & finings) would I then have to add yeast & nutrients to start the fermentation again, and then add stabiliser & finings for a second time??

If you add water or grape juice, yes, you will be diluting.

For example, if you have 4.5 litres at 13% abv, end up with 4 litres after racking and top up again your wine will be down to 11.5% abv.

If you sweeten with sugar syrup or grape juice after stabilising, more yeast or nutrient isn't going to get it started again.

Best solutions are to start the brew in a 5 litre PET and rack to a gallon DJ, or top up with a complementary or blending wine as mentioned above.

So if I added the WGJ, (bearing in mind i've already added stabiliser & finings) would I then have to add yeast & nutrients to start the fermentation again, and then add stabiliser & finings for a second time??
No, sorry I didn't quite make it clear
Rack, top up with WGJ, allow it to ferment that WGJ back out again then rack again and on the second racking you will lose (I think) very little as there will be only a small amount of sediment.
Then stabilise.
Obviously that racking once more than normal as most people (I think) would rack for the second time straight into bottles. Where this method I described would come in handy was if you had a couple of batches of WOW on the go so you could mature some in bulk then an extra racking would not be too much hassle.

Back