heard a rumour about a banana in my brew

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drago-mir

Reaction score
Before I began to brew I heard from a friend that I could put a whole unskinned banana in the bottom of my brew and it apparently makes it smoother to taste. Can anyone confirm or bust this myth for me please?
Thanks in advance
Dan

getting some strange ideas of late on here,the other day someone said his m8 told him to add urine in his lager brew :nono: but to be honest i've not heard of a whole banana in the brew. :cheers:

I've heard it used in wine making to give it a bit of body but never heard of it for beer (unless they are making a banana beer).

Bertie said:
Shug said:
graysalchemy said:
It wasn't on Monday that they said that was it :whistle: :whistle:
I brewed a banana beer on monday!

How did you add the banana?
Chopped it up, put it in a muslin bag and put it in pan with water. chuck in a couple banana skins, and boil for about 45 mins.
Then strained the liquid into the wort.
Bananas should be as ripe as possible, i.e. black, without being rotten!

fermentall said:
getting some strange ideas of late on here,the other day someone said his m8 told him to add urine in his lager brew

probably wouldn't notice the difference :tongue:

bananas i've heard of in old recipes, but i think that's for natural yeast.

Shug said:
Chopped it up, put it in a muslin bag and put it in pan with water. chuck in a couple banana skins, and boil for about 45 mins.
Then strained the liquid into the wort.
Bananas should be as ripe as possible, i.e. black, without being rotten!

Cheers, think I'll give this a try. Does it taste anything like Well's banana bread beer?

Bertie said:
Cheers, think I'll give this a try. Does it taste anything like Well's banana bread beer?
drago-mir said:
How strong is the banana taste in the beer?
Still fermenting, I'll tell you in a week or so!

cwiseman77 said:
What style of beer did you use the banana for?
Its a modified 80/-

Latest posts

Back