Heater query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carl_saint

Landlord.
Reaction score
How many of you use heaters to maintain temp whilst fermenting? I've been looking on eBay and I've seen a couple of immersion type heaters for sale. What are these like compared to heat mats. Would a fish tank heater do the same job as they can be set from 16-30c? Cheers

This weekend I finished a wee project....and I'm happy as can be. Proper proper chuffed.

Basically I'm using an old (working!) fridge that I got from my parents and one of these :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/130525330378? ... 108wt_1026

In summary, the above device switches between power supplies depending on temperature. Therefore, I plug the device above into the mains and then plug a tube heater (in the fridge) and the fridge itself into the 2 outputs from the controller. That way, I punch in a temperature (19.5c in fact!) and it either switches on the heater or the fridge depending on the temp inside the fridge.

This is amazing for a number of reasons. The main ones being :

1. Consistent fermentation temp
2. Fermentation temp according to style (lager, ale, etc)
3. Fermentation in complete darkness
4. No barrels around the house = happy Mrs!
5. I could punch the controller down to 3c or whatever and chill my beer.

I love my system. I can't believe I've waited this long to sort it out.

Last but not least, if you pick up bits for free or used, I bet I could produce my system for the price of the other heating solutions.

K

37eefe3b.jpg

446b15f1.jpg

alot of brewers use aquarium heaters they put the fv into another bigger vessel which has water in and then immerse the aquarium heater in that instead of the beer :thumb:

Immense project kev! Don't think I'd have the room for another fridge! Wicked idea though!

Wendy, thanks for the idea! I've got a spare aquarium heater and that's what got me thinking, but didnt think it was a good idea to put straight into the FV. Definitely going to implement this idea!

wendy1971 said:
no you put the fv in a water bath and then put the heater in the water bath

That's wot I do. I use a cat litter tray to sit my fv in, the aquarium heater sits in that. And all this sits in the brew fridge set to 12c.

Steve

Latest posts

Back