Heating oil

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
A woman on 5 Live has phoned in to tell them about the rising price of heating oil beggining of last year it was 50p litre, at the end of the year it was 95p litre and yesterday it was £1.84 ashock1

I Saw it for £1.03 yesterday but most suppliers are reporting no stock, just he due to a couple of tankers being refused access to dock.

It was 17p in April 2020 when covid hit.
I have quarter of a tank left. Should last me until spring hits.

I just tried to get a quote from boiler juice but they couldn't provide due to high demand. Prices have sky rocketed over the last couple of weeks or so. I filled my tank during Covid as well so should be ok - but it's an awful situation for those folks who need oil now

I Saw it for £1.03 yesterday but most suppliers are reporting no stock, just he due to a couple of tankers being refused access to dock.

I assume everyone started panic buying when they realised prices were going to shoot up and they don't now have enough for everyone like when the fuel stations ran out recently due to panic buying.

I currently use wood pellets but on last year of using them and was checking out prices of heating oil. £737 for 500 litres here at the minute 😭

Seen many houses for sale in the past on oil and been slightly put off although I always thought it was probably nothing to really worry about, but it is inherently more unpredictable than being on mains if stuff hits the fan.
Fingers crossed the weather will start warming up soon.
I'd expect many people on oil heating probably have electric showers and possibly immersion heaters (or a HLT?) as a back up for hot water, but of course not ideal.

My Mrs knew someone who had an oil tank in their back garden which sloped up from the house. During a thunderstorm it was struck by lightning but luckily the couple in question had the instinct to just run for it. Literally 20 seconds later house totally destroyed.

My village has no mains gas so most people have oil central heating.
Luckily I have a split system, part electric boiler and solid fuel Rayburn to immersion tank and rads ( plus oven/hotplate ).
Twenty five odd years ago I questioned my decision, now I'm relieved.
Having solid fuel has been a lifesaver during power cuts or when boiler's been out of action ( recent element failure due to limescale ) , now seriously weighing up solar options.

Oil is the main heating source out here. Thankfully our local delivery man also runs our diesel club and he is brilliant, he will look after the more vulnerable out here. A shining example of humanity at its best.

Solid fuel and lecky for us, but the importance of having alternative energy sources has increased in this new world So adding solar.

Particularly as parts of our 'civilisation' fails to mature and a pathetic example of inhumanity also fails to learn anything from mistakes in the past,,,,,😪🤬

I have been looking into Hydrotreated Vegetable Oil (HVO) which looks like it will get rolled out sooner rather than later and already in use in many industries.

A local oil supplier is producing it and charge £500 to convert existing boilers. What I haven't found out is, how much it costs per litre.

Luckily, I ordered my oil the week before the prices started going up but they only just delivered yesterday because they have been so busy. When I was chasing delivery, the guy I was speaking to at the company said they were now seeing companies letting you order 2 weeks in advance but you would have to pay the price at the point of delivery.

I live in a very remote spot, and am totally reliant on oil for the central heating and cooking, which we do solely by AGA. It is a worrying situation.

Just bitten the bullet, and ordered 1500 litres heating oil. This is the total capacity of a tiny wagon, which is the only one that can get down our narrow lane. Total cost inc VAT is £1580. 😭

Just bitten the bullet, and ordered 1500 litres heating oil. This is the total capacity of a tiny wagon, which is the only one that can get down our narrow lane. Total cost inc VAT is £1580. 😭
That is a good price. Out of interest I have just got 3 quotes and they range from £2126 to £2317 for 1500 litres. That is in Lancashire.

Don't think it would have gone with so much, especially as the cost of oil is dropping for the past couple of days

Latest posts

Back