Hello Fellow Brewers

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martynhusky

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals, I'm Martyn, but you can call me Spud.
I have been brewing beer at home for nearly a year now, and I am still having trouble carbonating my brew. I have tried various things, Force carbonation, natural carbonation.
I mainly do this in a Boots Pressure Barrel, (I know its old) This is what my old man used to use, and now I do! Every time I make a new brew, I make sue the lid is on tightly, plenty of Vaseline, Check for leaks, ect.
The lid however has a pressure release valve, that looks like a small black baseball cap on the top, and like a screw with a spring on the inside. every now and then I can hear gas escaping, so now I stick the valve down with lots and lots of tape. . . Is that a good idea??
If anyone out there has the same sort of lid, maybe you could help me, and let me know what I'm doing wrong.
Thanks
Happy brewing.
Spud

What would you say, to replacing the valve with a bolt, and completely sealing it off??

Hi, welcome to the forum :drink:

I wouldn't advise sealing up the pressure release valve, as it could just be that which prevents the barrel splitting under toomuch pressure and spilling your beer all over the floor.

You could try replacing the valve with something like this, I'm not 100% sure it willl fit though. Either that or pick yourself up a new keg.

http://www.the-home-brew-shop.co.uk/aca ... valve.html

Hi, Yeah thanks, I will have a look at getting one of those.
I think there's a brewing shop in the local town.
The barrel splitting thing never even crossed my mind. Good job I didn't block it off.

Would it be possible to test the barrel, by filling it with water, and trying to force carbonate that??

Put me down for 'sounds like the valve is buggered' too - because I've just had exactly the same problem. I did a 'sipping Belgian' for the missus a couple of weeks ago and batch-primed with 100g of dextrose on Friday then racked it to a barrel. I also force-carbonated and 'bled' the barrel to ensure there was no oxygen present. Today, it was as flat as old boots, despite the turbidity that indicated the secondary had kicked off. Another blip of gas,a bit of soapy water on the valve and I was blowing bubbles - straight out of the valve.

I bottled it instead.

Oh, sorry. Welcome to the forum. :cheers:

Back