Hello from E. Yorkshire (near Hull)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dogman

Reaction score
Hi,
I used to live in Devon and make cider. However, over the years I've forgotten more than I learnt. :laugh8: I've bought a cheap Wilko Cherry wine kit and a descent Beaverdale Cabernet, as I want to make lot's of wine.clapa
Looking forward to learning off this site, as I don't want bottled vinegar.
Regards Glenn :hat:

Welcome back :thumba:

If the wilko cherry wine instructions tell you to top up on day 2 ignore them as many a member here has found (including me) they tend to ferment vigorously and usually comer out of the airlock, leave it until day 4 or 5.

If you want to make your own wine without having to pick lots of fruit have a look at this - https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...ne-recipes-and-wurzels-orange-wine-wow.49462/

Thank you athumb.. The instructions don't mention degassing either. I was thinking of degassing before adding the finnings?

I add the stabiliser (fermentation stopper) degas then add fining i am surprised the instructions don't mention it, do they say anything along the lines of vigorously stirring it when adding the finings or stabiliser?

They mention just adding the stabiliser into a clean cup, dissolve in a little cold water, mix to dissolve and add to the wine THEN add the finnings into the demijohn and 'Gently' swirl. Then over next 24hrs regularly 'shake to remove unwanted carbon dioxide.

I don't think Mrs Lane will want me to hijack her hoover,asad. but I have some rounded coat hangers. Thanks for the video link, as you've saved me a few quid. athumb..

I never liked the idea of using a vacuum on a glass DJ especially modern ones that feel a lot lighter and thinner walled than the old ones, the degassing wand and drill does a great job so no need to upset Mrs Lane. wink...

Hi there dogman, welcome to the forum I'm close by in east hull and do a lot of wine making from allsorts of fruit etc I get from my allotment and the odd kit or two.

Hi Dave,
Thanks. I've just got back from Wilkos in HULL and bought some extra kit. Should start their Black Cherry wine tommorow.
I bought 2x 1 litre bottles of Blackcurrant from concentrate to replace in lieu of 2 litre water. Hopefully it will produce a better wine than just what's in the kit? I'll boil the Blackcurrant first though.

Welcome dogman, I'm west hull and brew anything, wine/cider/beer kits.
We're a helpful crew on here so just askathumb..

Hi Frogbrew,
You're from the posh part of Hull then. ;)
Do you think my previous post regarding doctoring the Wilko kit will be all right?
I need to get it started and bottled so I can crack on with a Beaverdale Cabernet Shiraz kit. clapa

Before adding the remaining 2.7 litres.
20181004_123628.jpg
20181004_123628.jpg

Latest posts

Back