Hello from Portsmouth

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caddac

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
This my first time on a forum and I have my first brew going which was put into a keg this week.
The kit was a birthday present from my daughters and I cannot tell you how excited I am waiting for that first pint.
I am prepared for a disappointing brew so have registered here to pick up lots of advice for my next attempt.

hi and welcome to a great hobby , have a good read through the how to guides , there are many things you can do to improve a brew , even if its a **** 1 you will learn lots so alls good in the end :thumb:

Hi folks,
Got my first Home Brew kit today and hopefully it'll go according to plan ..
One question tho guys ..
I followed all the instructions and at the stage of adding the yeast I waited till it was down to 20 deg before adding it.
Was I supposed to get any kind of reaction when I added the yeast as nothing happened?
Many thank in advance for any info.

hi and welcome, i started brewing kits and tried lots of them from the really cheep ones to the expensive two can jobs and while some were better than others, i've never made a beer that i didn't drink :lol: so however your first brew turns out don't be disappointed just enjoy it :thumb:

Samsar said:
Hi folks,
Got my first Home Brew kit today and hopefully it'll go according to plan ..
One question tho guys ..
I followed all the instructions and at the stage of adding the yeast I waited till it was down to 20 deg before adding it.
Was I supposed to get any kind of reaction when I added the yeast as nothing happened?
Many thank in advance for any info.
Welcome to the forum, and apologies for the delay in approving your first post, I wasn't online last night but I can't understand why no-one else spotted it.

No, you won't see any reaction when pitching the yeast, and there probably won't be much sign of anything much happening for the next day. There is something called a lag phase where the yeast cells are busy multiplying and colonising your bucket, and they won't take an interest in or start converting your fermentable sugars until their numbers are up to strength.

Thanks for the welcome everyone look forward to sharing this stuff with you.

Back