Help, flat cider :(

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wozzza72

Reaction score
Hi Guys

I'm new to making turbo cider and also to the forum so hello to you all.

So I made my first turbo cider, 2 x DJ's each with 4l AJ, 500ml of Cranberry juice, Mangrove Jack's yeast and 1 mug of strong tea. It started bubbling after 12 hours and I left it standing for 2 weeks. I then siphoned it into Budweiser bottles with the screw tops. I added 1/2 teaspoon of granulated sugar and a teaspoon of powdered sweetener and left them in a warm cupboard for 3 weeks and tried a bottle yesterday which tasted ok but was flat!

Any ideas why its flat and also if I can try and carb it again?

Thanks

Hi Guys

So I made my first turbo cider, 2 x DJ's each with 4l AJ, 500ml of Cranberry juice, Mangrove Jack's yeast and 1 mug of strong tea. It started bubbling after 12 hours and I left it standing for 2 weeks. I then siphoned it into Budweiser bottles with the screw tops. I added 1/2 teaspoon of granulated sugar and a teaspoon of powdered sweetener and left them in a warm cupboard for 3 weeks and tried a bottle yesterday which tasted ok but was flat!

Any ideas why its flat and also if I can try and carb it again?

Thanks
A lot of those screw top bottles are not air tight once opened, so it's likely all your pressure escaped. You either need you either need a capper and some caps, or some bottles with swingtop lids.

A lot of those screw top bottles are not air tight once opened, so it's likely all your pressure escaped. You either need you either need a capper and some caps, or some bottles with swingtop lids.

I totally agree with fury tea on that. Alternatively you could purchase Coopers plastic PET bottles either in 500 ml or 740 ml. These have reusable screw tops which can be reused several times. They also sell replacement screw caps if they need changing.

Don't be too down hearted. Its all part of the learning process.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Thanks for the welcome and the reply!

After trying a few bottles over the weekend, some are fizzy, some are not so it must be the screw lids.

I was thinking, I buy 12 x 500ml bottles of sparking water from Asda with screw tops every week, will these be good for keeping the fizz in?

Thanks for the welcome and the reply!

After trying a few bottles over the weekend, some are fizzy, some are not so it must be the screw lids.

I was thinking, I buy 12 x 500ml bottles of sparking water from Asda with screw tops every week, will these be good for keeping the fizz in?
I've used something similar in the past (and occasionally still do). They're absolutely fine!

Hi Guys

So I made my first turbo cider, 2 x DJ's each with 4l AJ, 500ml of Cranberry juice, Mangrove Jack's yeast and 1 mug of strong tea.

Greetings

How much yeast did you use per DJ? Im planning on using ale yeast. But unsure as to the amount.
TIA

Greetings

How much yeast did you use per DJ? Im planning on using ale yeast. But unsure as to the amount.
TIA

There are exact ways of working it out, but as a general rule when I've done this in the past I use around half a pack of ale yeast per demijohn.

Back