Help - fusel alcohol in my cask ale...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daleo

Reaction score
What went wrong? Beer tastes hot or what I assume if fusel alcohol.

I brewed a small batch Best Bitter (see photo).
Open fermented using West Yorkshire (pitched an in date and fresh half pack into 6-7 litres).
Whisked for 3 minutes to oxygenate. OG was 1.044.
Controlled the open ferment at 18C for 4 days using a fridge, and ink bird thermometer attached to fermenter. Top cropped 1/3 to 1/2 of the yeast at around 3 days after removing some dirty crop at 36 hours.
Closed and sealed lid and raised to 20C for 3 days.
Dropped temp on day 8 to 10C for 2 days to drop some yeast out of suspension.
Transferred into and filled 5 litre minikeg/cask, added finings and primed (with 6g of table sugar to hit 1.1 - 1.2 vol CO2) and secondary fermented/conditioned for 10 days at 11C. Forgot to pour out the 100ml of Starstan from the cask before filling.
Vented on Day 11 for 24hrs still at 11C. See keg photo with cork used to vent. Was sealed with an airtight peg for first 10 days.
FG was 1.010 giving so 4.7% ABV.
Tasted it today on Day 12 of conditioning and it tasted hot/ had some alcohol burn. So 19 days stat to finish. 7 days primary and 12 days in cask.

What went wrong? Could it be any of the following:

1 - over pitched yeast and too little oxygen?
2 - top cropped too much?
3 - the 100ml of Starsan I forgot to pour out?
4 - something else?

Thanks as always for any tips.

Attachments

• Beer.jpg
    Beer.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0534.jpg
    IMG_0534.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 22
if its fusel oil in the brew its a monster splitting hangover the next day.

i remeber see that terrible stuff in the ingreadiants lists on beer recipes years ago

Latest posts

Back