HELP! No fermentation started!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babs

Reaction score
Hi there, just started my first ever Turbo Cider brew yesterday using Roddy's recipe.

(Previous discussion on this brew can be found here: https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/how-much-cider-yeast-to-use.77694/ )

Today, there is no sign of fermentation, no airlock activity, doesn't look very cloudy.

The recipe didn't mention stirring after adding the yeast, so I didn't. After about 3 hours, I asked on here if I should have stirred and I was advised to stir.

15 hours on and nothing. Is there something I can do? What does yeast nutrient do (not that I have any!) Or do I just wait. We currently have an ambient temperature of 21.1 degrees C.

Thanks,

Babs

dried yeast or fresh yeast starter ? O2 levels very low ...............many many thinks can go wrong ......spend some time with the Top boys on here......hook up with one ......can any one help out.

Thanks Nightsky. I used 5g Gervin GV13 Cider Yeast (dried).

15 hours on and nothing. Is there something I can do?

This is not meant to sound patronising we have all been there believe me.

One of the hardest things to learn when you first start out in this hobby is patience there is no set time for a fermentation to start if you sterilised properly and followed a proven recipe it will start eventually. :thumb:

I read somewhere on here that an option for "kick starting" a reluctant brew is by pitching more yeast. I wondered....

1) Is that ever an option and advisable?

2) How long to give it before re-pitching.

I understand that I'm probably over-thinking this and that this brew will probably kick into action sometime soon, but...
unfortunately where I live (in the middle of abso-bloody-lutely nowhere) there are no shops that sell brewing yeast and I have none at home, so I will have to either order online or go on a 40 mile trip to get some! Is it worth my while stocking up?

Thanks,

Babs.

With beer 5g can be a bit too little...not sure with cider. I pitched 10g in my 23l and it was off in around 8 hours. Just bear in mind not all fermentation is volcanic...

My only batch of TC showed no sign of fermentation at any point but fermented fine in the end. Don’t worry, give it some time and see what happens, all good experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Success!! Fermentation showed signs of beginning at 6am today then the hugely satisfying "blup bblup BLOOOOP" occurred at about 9am. Very happy now! :nod:

Success!! Fermentation showed signs of beginning at 6am today then the hugely satisfying "blup bblup BLOOOOP" occurred at about 9am. Very happy now! :nod:

I've visions of you sat up all night next to your FV like an expectant father

LOL, that's pretty close to how it felt last night, LED_ZEP !

Hi Rikki, it going BRILLIANTLY! The airlock is bloooping healthily and regularly and the whiff of cider is filling the room, NICE!

So far I would recommend this recipe, but of course I've not tasted it yet! As I'm so impatient I've been taking SG readings every two days and the level is going down nicely. I still reckon it'll finish up at around 5.8% or so.

UPDATE! Today is day 5, and I took a reading. It's gone from 1.032 to 1.006 in two days! That means 5.12% by my reckoning, and it's still going like the clappers!

Day 10. Racked, batch-primed and bottled! Ended up at 0.998 so that's about 6.2% by my reckoning.

There was a bit left over that wouldn't fill the last bottle so we downed it! Tastes good! Very appley (of course it is, but more appley than Cider is generally)

Will give further update in a week when it's cleared and hopefully fizzy!

OH WOW!

Chilled a bottle of this brew this afternoon and could wait no longer....

Result: OMG, it's REALLY good! Still needs to clear somewhat (was only bottled Monday, mind!) but the yeastiness is non-existent, it's really nice and dry and very lively, a good head was evident right to the bottom of the glass, and yes, this is CIDER!

Having been accustomed to supermarket ciders for the last couple of years, I would say this is much more akin to a fine PUB cider. A pint of this in a country pub would result in NO complaints I'm pretty sure! It has a fair kick (SG readings suggested a little over 6%), and a nice after taste.

With no hesitation, I'm starting off another 25 litre batch tomorrow and will probably change nothing in the recipe. I can foresee another FV and box of PET bottles being purchased pretty soon.

Result: way above expectations, no hint of home brew giveaways in the look, smell and taste. Easily resembling pub quality but only 32p per pint!

Thanks Roddy for the original recipe and everyone else (esp. you Chippy!) for all your experience and advice!

Babs. :cheers3:

Started another batch of just now, decided to change nothing from last time - I was that satisfied with the results! :gulp:

Latest posts

Back