Help please! Correct bottles for bottling ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mork

Reaction score
I've made about two Imperial gallons of Carrot "Whiskey". I used Lalvin EC-1118 yeast. Primary fermentation is now done and I've transferred the must to a secondary fermentation vessel, where it will remain for another month before racking. I reckon the alcohol content is going to be 17%-18% ABV. Anyway, before I get to the stage of bottling, which is going to be at least a couple of months away or more, I wanted to find out what kind of bottles I needed, because Lalvin EC-1118 is considered to be a Champagne yeast. I already have a load of normal red wine bottles, that have had Merlot, Shiraz and C. Sauv. in them, but it's struck me that if I used these then they might explode or pop their corks if the Lalvin produces a lot of pressure. So, I've come here to ask for some advice please. I'm quite new to wine making, especially using Lalvin. Will the red wine bottles be OK, or do I need to get some stronger bottles and those wire cage things for holding the corks in place? I really need your help please because I just don't know the answer. Thanks!

If the wine has fermented out (which at 17 - 18% I suspect it has) there wouldn't be any fermentation in the bottle so no pressure. Normal wine bottles will be fine.

Pressure would only be an issue if you were to later add priming sugar or another fermentable. Champagne yeasts can continue to ferment some sugars that other yeasts might not which can theoretically lead to long fermentation times and late on pressure. I've never found it an issue though and if the wine is degassed - either through agitation/stirring or time then pressure won't be a problem. Restart of fermentation and pressure could be an issue if you back sweeten your wine after fermentation though this can be limited by fermentation stop such as potassium sorbate.

Anna

Thank you for the replies, which are very welcome and helpful!
When I started the batch and did the initial fermentation the hydrometer reading went right down to 1.000 from 1.080 in just a few days, which I personally found quite astonishing. Then I added another 2 bags of sugar which immediately took the reading up to 1.042. After eight days I strained the must into a secondary vessel and the reading was 1.010 (5 days ago). The instructions say to leave it for a month before the first racking into demi-johns. At the moment the airlock on the secondary is releasing gas about once every 2-3 minutes. I'm expecting that when I come to rack, the reading may well be 1.000 or very close. I must say that the Lalvin EC-1118 yeast is most remarkable. I'm looking forward with great anticipation to doing the hydrometer reading when I come to do the first racking in a month's time.

Shouldn't carrot 'whiskey' be still rather than sparkling? If you do intend it to be still, but are worried about fermentation in the bottle, wait until it's fully fermented. I remember making it years ago and it sat for probably a couple of years before I bottled it in baby mixer bottles scrounged from a local pub.

Not the most attractive of bottles, but I knew I wouldn't want to drink a whole wine bottle before it became undrinkable.

There is (or used to be) a brand of lemonade sold in Waitrose in clear 75 cl swing top bottles. I've still got a dozen or so of them and use them for sparkling wines in preference to champagne bottles. I think the brand was "Lorena", but I might be wrong.

Add some wine stabiliser to kiil any yeast and prevent any more fermentation. This will also aid clearing. Do you plan to add any finings?

Shouldn't carrot 'whiskey' be still rather than sparkling? If you do intend it to be still, but are worried about fermentation in the bottle, wait until it's fully fermented. I remember making it years ago and it sat for probably a couple of years before I bottled it in baby mixer bottles scrounged from a local pub.

Not the most attractive of bottles, but I knew I wouldn't want to drink a whole wine bottle before it became undrinkable.

I followed a recipe that said to use Lalvin EC-1118 and that's why I used it, rightly or wrongly.

Add some wine stabiliser to kiil any yeast and prevent any more fermentation. This will also aid clearing. Do you plan to add any finings?

I've never used finings. I normally brew beer, but have never fancied the idea of using finings. This is really my first attempt at brewing wine. I made a couple of gallons of Ribena wine a few years ago, but that's it. Somehow the idea of adding something like finings seems somewhat of an anathema to me, especially if it's a fish derivative.

I guess champagne yeast was specified as it would dry the wine out to quite a high gravity. Could I see your recipe so I can compare it to the one I used? I've been meaning to make more for ages.

Most shop-bought wines will have been fined. Not all use fish derivatives. @Mork do you buy vegan wines?
No, not intentionally. I'm a certified carnivore! However, I do like Vegan beers, even if they are somewhat hazy at times. I just don't like the idea of finings, that's all. It's an unnecessary additive in my humble opinion.

I guess champagne yeast was specified as it would dry the wine out to quite a high gravity. Could I see your recipe so I can compare it to the one I used? I've been meaning to make more for ages.

CARROT “WHISKEY” RECIPE (ONE GALLON)

Ingredients:

6lb Carrots, washed not peeled, but grated (2.75Kg)
2 Oranges
2 Lemons
4½lb Sugar (two 1Kg bags)
11oz Raisins (chopped) (320g)
1lb 1½oz Cracked Wheat - 1/2 kg
1 gallon Water - 4½ litres
1½ tsp Lalvin EC-1118 Yeast
1 tsp Pectolase
1 tsp Yeast Nutrient

Method:
Scrub, but do not peel the carrots. Grate and place them in 8 pints of water and bring to boil, simmering gently until tender (about 25-30 minutes).
Meanwhile, put half the sugar in primary. Slice the oranges and lemons into thin slices and arrange on top of sugar.
When carrots are done, strain them, pouring the water over the sugar and citrus. Stir to dissolve sugar and allow to cool to lukewarm.
Add Pectolase and Yeast Nutrient. Add chopped raisins and wheat and sprinkle wine yeast over top.
Cover with sterile cloth and set aside, stirring daily.
After 6 days add remainder of sugar and stir well to dissolve.
Ferment additional 8 days, stirring daily.
Strain liquid into secondary and fit airlock.
Rack after 30 days and again 30 days later.
Bottle and taste after 1 year.

Last edited:
That tempts me. What is the total volume? My demijohns are one gallon. What ABV have you achieved? My 'port' was 18%.

Well, you can fine it after a year if it's not clear. I make parsnip wine but I call it sherry! If you fine before bottling and give it a couple of days the bottles won't have any sediment.

That tempts me. What is the total volume? My demijohns are one gallon. What ABV have you achieved? My 'port' was 18%.

First reading (after first batch of sugar) was 1.080, which became 1.000 in just a few days. After the second batch of sugar was added it immediately went up to 1.042. Bear in mind that this was a 2 gallon brew. When I strained into secondary after 8 days it was down to 1.010.
My calculations suggest that that the ABV will be 17% to 18%.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back