Help required.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamie93

Reaction score
I'm making my first beer from scratch next week. However the recipe is for 10litres, only it's only me who's gonna be drinking it. To make 5litres, do I just half all the recipe ingredients????

I brew 9-10L at a time just for me and if it tastes good, it isn't hanging around long!

But, yes, assuming this is an all grain recipe, then just half the ingredients for 5L. Timings and temperatures all remain the same.

Sure, but you'll be making what's known as an extract brew rather than all grain (AG) which is what people will assume if you say your making your beer from scratch

If you have big enough equipment and enough storage space, I would brew 10 litres. This will start you building up stocks and you can see if the beer taste changes over time.
If you brew different recipes next, you will then have a variety of beers to drink (I get bored just having 40 bottles of 1 type of beer to drink!)

They will last a long time (but hoppy IPAs will lose the fresh hoppiness over time).

I'm not a big stout drinker and have 6 bottles left from a kit brewed over 2 years ago! To be fair, I brewed it with a whole tin of black treacle and it took 12 months to mellow out

Back