Help thread! High FG lager or stuck fermentation?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChIpStIcK

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first (Czech) lager. Getting cold here so planned to lager for a few weeks in the garage. I'm concerned I may have a stuck fermentation.

My OG was 1.060. I pitched 10g pack of mangrove jack's m84 into 28 litres which I understand to be an underpitch.
I left it at 12 c for a week and a bit and have ramped it up to 15c from day 9 to day 13.
My FG has been at 1.02 for the last 3 days. I think this makes my attenuation 66% which I understand is quite low.
I attempted my first step mash from 68c to 72c then mashed out at 78c so quite high temps. I wasn't that accurate.
Is this a reasonable final gravity? Planning to lager then bottle and obviously don't want anything to explode.

Just leave it another week and see how it goes. As you say, you have under pitched, that means it will take longer to reach FG (and may effect the flavour). On the other hand mashing at 68 and then 72 might have produced more unfermentable sugars and mean you will have a higher than expected FG.

I think this ones a lottery. With the under pitch you could end up with some good flavours or some bad flavours caused by the esters generated by the yeast over working. The problem with a Czech lager (or any Pilsner) is that flavour wise, there is nowhere to hide. I made this mistake with a Belgian golden and it didn’t recover, my first batch to go down the drain 😢. You could be lucky 🤞hope so but the signs ain’t good IMO

Back