Help with a barons kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Speckie

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been hit with my first ever beer problem! Its stopped being alive!

I've done loads of beer kits and I was given a barons beer kit (Dutch lager).

The instructions were after it hit 1020 on the hydrometer rack it in to another F.V. I had my doubts about this but followed the instructions. This is where I need advice; I've not had any change in the hydrometer reading since I racked it (9 days) I've tried to have faith but I thinks it's in trouble!

The temp is fine, I've given it a good shake/stir. I was thinking about chucking in some nutrient and/or some yeast. I haven't come over to the dark side yet so the yeast I have is: standard white, champayene, high alcohol and a full bodied red! I'm really stuck so thank in advance!

And this site is really great I have gotten so much fab advice and... WOW I've not been without a dj of this nectar for months now! :clap:

Cheers Chris

Thats a tuff one, do you know if it's a lager strain of yeast or and Ale strain? if you don't what temps does it say to ferment at?
I wouldn't use any of them yeasts you have.

Archtronics that's right it was ale yeast. muddydisco it's said between 18c and 24c - i have it about 20c to 23c.

i don't have a local hbs so Internet is my only option for get more ale yeast. I notice last night the f.v lid was bulging up, so could the yeast still be working but just at a reduced rate?

Do you think more nutrient would work? Or the o.g was 1046 now at 1020 I'll be priming my bottles at 1/2 tsp sugar so I think the abv would be 3.9. Would bottling and laying down be an option? :hmm:

Thank for the replies! :D

Cheers Chris

If the lid is bulging I would imagine its still fermenting so I would leave it another 4-5 days then check again. :thumb:

Edit: just realised I have this kit a quick look at the instruction show a fg of 1011 so defiantly leave it not far to go.

Yeah have you looked closely at the surface it may only be bubbling very slowly, now it's been removed from the majority of the yeast?
It still may be going down just very slowly 1.020 is still way to high to prime and bottle. Give it longer :thumb:

Transferring to a second fermenter, can cause issues sometimes as you do remove a lot of yeast. . . . However there should be enough present to eventually complete fermentation . . . It may just take more time.

Stop messing with it and leave it alone for a week or so.

I'm drinking this exact same kit and I think it is excellent, I did not use a secondary fermenter as I thought it was necessary, plus I was using a different yeast (Wyeast Danish Lager). It did go from 1.052 to 1.012 even though I was fermenting at 12C

Thanks guys, that sounds like a plan, I will exercise patience. If it ferments down I'll conditioning a bit longer, the yeastiees may take a bit longer to carbonate, i'll test one at Christmas but probably into January!

I better get another kit on I might run out of beer!! :shock:

I'll post on the outcome!

Archtronics it does smell like a cracking lager, so good luck when you do yours!

Cheers Chris.

Thanks Aleman, luckily I came here for advice first before mucking about with it. I did have reservations about transferring into a second f.v. But decided to go with the instructions...you live and learn :D

Cheers Chris

Latest posts

Back