Help with All Grain kit

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wyreforestred

Reaction score
First message. Firstly a collective thankyou, you lot have been a source of information and inspiration as I have lurked since December, brewing 5 batches of canned kit. I was going to use lock down to move on to partial/mini mash and was looking at Dark Rocks Bathams bitter kit ( a local favourite). I bought a 15 l stock pot, and was waiting for stock to arrive at the store.
Faced with rapidly dwindling supplies of beer I’ve panicked and ordered a full AG Bathams recipe kit from Worcester Hop Shop Bathams Best Bitter Style Recipe Kit | Worcester Hop Shop
I’m guessing that with my little(ish) stock pot I will simply need to halve the ingredients and brew 2 separate batches? The Bathams recipe is useful in only having one type of malt to the looks of things.

I’ve bought a muslin straining bag which as far as I can tell is the only extra equipment I need. Do I pitch half a packet of yeast and use the remainder the following day? Or should I use the opportunity to experiment with a different yeast? Any advice on what I’ve suggested? Will I go wrong simply splitting everything into two, wasn’t quite ready to jump to AG but looking on here it’s probably the push I needed! Many thanks.... the adventure begins!!

That is exactly what I am doing this weekend, I am just going to split a 20L batch of grain and hops in two and use half one weekend and half the next weekend. This is purely because it just makes brew day so much easier!

All grain is easy, super easy. Just put everything in the bag, mash, then lift out and pop on top with an oven grill. Sparge through the bag and boil. Easy.

369D26C2-0A0F-4082-AA3B-2C191BB22DE3.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
First message. Firstly a collective thankyou, you lot have been a source of information and inspiration as I have lurked since December, brewing 5 batches of canned kit. I was going to use lock down to move on to partial/mini mash and was looking at Dark Rocks Bathams bitter kit ( a local favourite). I bought a 15 l stock pot, and was waiting for stock to arrive at the store.
Faced with rapidly dwindling supplies of beer I’ve panicked and ordered a full AG Bathams recipe kit from Worcester Hop Shop Bathams Best Bitter Style Recipe Kit | Worcester Hop Shop
I’m guessing that with my little(ish) stock pot I will simply need to halve the ingredients and brew 2 separate batches? The Bathams recipe is useful in only having one type of malt to the looks of things.

I’ve bought a muslin straining bag which as far as I can tell is the only extra equipment I need. Do I pitch half a packet of yeast and use the remainder the following day? Or should I use the opportunity to experiment with a different yeast? Any advice on what I’ve suggested? Will I go wrong simply splitting everything into two, wasn’t quite ready to jump to AG but looking on here it’s probably the push I needed! Many thanks.... the adventure begins!!

If you are proposing a mash on Saturn's day and a mash on Sunday - add the whole of the yeast to the first brew and add the liquor from the second into the fermenter containing the brew from the first day.

If you are proposing a mash on Saturn's day and a mash on Sunday - add the whole of the yeast to the first brew and add the liquor from the second into the fermenter containing the brew from the first day.
Ooh really? That would be much easier. Thankyou both of you for your help.

Ooh really? That would be much easier. Thankyou both of you for your help.
I’m guessing then that I could do first mash, pour it into the fermenting bin and whilst it’s cooling do the second mash... pitching the yeast once the combined wort is cool enough? A long day... but let’s face it there’s no football or pubs on a Saturday at the moment!

I'm tempted to go down the same route as I only have a 19 litre pot - any tips on calculating preboil water volumes?

Many thanks

Thanks for this thread, as it has confirmed some of my thoughts looking at my first all grain brew. 👍
Checked your link. Great recipe kits; champion, old per, jet black heart, wainwright etc. But 17 quid delivery?!!

Thanks for this thread, as it has confirmed some of my thoughts looking at my first all grain brew. 👍
Checked your link. Great recipe kits; champion, old per, jet black heart, wainwright etc. But 17 quid delivery?!!
Think mine was £8.50 postage (2kits) .. which brought the price into line with other places overall. I like the look of the kits though... lots to go at as a learning curve before I start to tinker with my own recipes. Communication has been fab too... answering a question at 9pm on Friday night when I thought a response would have been after the weekend.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back