Help with DMS / Diacetyl

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will definitely change to 1 hour boils now. Thank you. 🙂

Trust me when I say I do soak everything thoroughly. In PBW, then hot water, then chemsan. I couldn't be any cleaner unless I sterilised everything with bleach. Bloody beer-making! Takes my anxiety up a notch! 😂
You'll fix it.

I think you have already half solved it with your suggestion of sending it out to 2 home brewers who will put there hands up to being good at detecting off flavours, do remember not everybody is susceptible to some off flavour so only ask for people who are good at recognising off flavours

I think you have already half solved it with your suggestion of sending it out to 2 home brewers who will put there hands up to being good at detecting off flavours, do remember not everybody is susceptible to some off flavour so only ask for people who are good at recognising off flavours

I know HB is doing some BJCP training (hope I've got this right!). And I'm sure he won't mind having a look for me.

I agree Baron as my husband says he doesn't get the off-flavours at all! Even my son liked it when he had a glass last night! Different taste palates and all that.

You didn't do bad on the one I sent you Clint. Happy for your comments, good or bad. My Kolsch here is for the March comp, but I'm not confident. It's at 1.005 and still going down. (according to the tilt - might be slightly off). Supposed be 1.007 minimum for the style ugh.

133A20A3-9B05-4E0C-B10B-4A63E1AE5845.png

Will send you my next one if you like Leon? Kolsch is brewing atm or I'm doing a cherry sour next.
Happy to try whatever beer you think you have an issue with it, see if we can get to the bottom of it. A lot of time brewers think there is something wrong with their beer when it's not. Recently I brewed a Belgian pale, thought it wasn't good, wrong colour etc. BJCP judge scored it 42. My best score to date, I was over critical

Hi Tess.

Diacetyl as I think you know, is mostly buttery and can also leave a slippery sensation in the mouth.

DMS is most often vegetal and can be like the water after cooking vegetables, cooked corn is the most common description.

Stale orange is not an aroma/flavour I’m familiar with I’m afraid. I’d have assumed they tastes like…well, orange! 😂

Could it be that your beer just isn’t conditioned yet, how long has it been conditioning?

mine was brewed 12th feb, jim's was 13th feb.

Quoting the husband - 'longer than we normally leave them'. But that's because we haven't got anything to drink and don't want to spend money lol.

As you know i'm a perfectionist and extremely critical of my own stuff. I'm embarrassed to share stuff that isn't what I call perfect.

Tess just looking for possible common factors, so apologies if I’m way off beam - but are you adding much in the way of water treatment chems?

I use brewfather as a guide and generally I'm pretty confident with the water additions yep :D

I have 6 out of the 7 things in stock that it advises to add. Only thing I don't have is slaked lime. But that is to higher the PH and calcium so not normally needed.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back