Help with first AG (small batch)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xdaver

Reaction score
Hi all after making beer kits for a couple of years I'm going to try making a small batch of AG,
Its a small batch till I get some more kit together and to get used to mashing and sparging etc.
My main question is how many litres I'l get out of my ingredients, I'm going for a single malt single hop brew.
I have 1kg pale malt and 100g of Hallertauer-Hersbrucker AA 1.6%, I,m just not sure how large a batch I'l get (Im guessing about 6ltrs) and and how much hops to use and when. Any help/tips would be greatly appreciated.

If you haven't already, I'd recommend getting some brewing software to do many of those calculations for you. I've used the free Brewmate on the PC and BrewR (also free) on the Android phone. They've been easy to use.

You can measure and enter the deadspaces on your gear, estimate boil off rate, plug it all into the software and end up with a far better guesstimate than I could give you. As an extremely rough rule of thumb, you may get 10 gravity points per Kilo of base malt in a 23L brew: maybe a bit more, so 6L may be about right for a 1.040ish ale with 1Kg.

Software would also help you keep an eye on the bittering units from the hops, though it can be up to you how early or late to add them, for greater flavour and aroma.

morethanworts said:
If you haven't already, I'd recommend getting sotions for you. I've used the free Brewmate on the PC and BrewR (also free) on the Android phone. They've been easy to use.

You can measure and enter the deadspaces on your gear, estimate boil off rate, plug it all into the software and end up with a far better guesstimate than I could give you. As an extremely rough rule of thumb, you may get 10 gravity points per Kilo of base malt in a 23L brew: maybe a bit more, so 6L may be about right for a 1.040ish ale with 1Kg.

Software would also help you keep an eye on the bittering units from the hops, though it can be up to you how early or late to add them, for greater flavour and aroma.
Like morethanworts I also user BrewR. It's very basic but so easy to use.

all i could come up with was this

so mash at 63c for hour and half with 3 litres liquor
fly sparge at 73c
stop at 1.010 but i stop at 1.020 or later
try get 11 litres if you can then i usually boil for 90 mins but thinking 60 mins might save you beer????
you should get around 7 litres at 3.3%

are you sure your hops are only 1.6AA??

Hi , a little basic info to start you off .
If i'm brewing a 20 litre batch of beer i'll use around 4 kg of grain and will expect to get around 1048 (ish) so if using 1 kg then to get a 4.5/5% strength then i'll end up with 5 litres of beer .
When mashing the grain you will lose 1 lire of water per kg plus then 5 litres needed and also the amount lost in the trub of the boiler and also evaporation from boiling the wort .
Again for a 20 litre batch using 4 kg i need around 33 litres of total water , so divide by 4 is around just under 9 litres ( i would do 9 ) . That means you need to mash 9 litres and will get around 8 litres back from the mash and may lose 2 to 3 litres with boiling and hops .
Hope this helps .
(Written before seeing Noby's post )

nobyipa said:

all i could come up with was this

so mash at 63c for hour and half with 3 litres liquor
fly sparge at 73c
stop at 1.010 but i stop at 1.020 or later
try get 11 litres if you can then i usually boil for 90 mins but thinking 60 mins might save you beer????
you should get around 7 litres at 3.3%

are you sure your hops are only 1.6AA??
It's his first go , i would batch sparge which is filling the tun , mashing , draining then re filling and waiting 10 mins the drain again .
Also i would mash at 66c not 63c as you'll end up with a dry beer , 66c is the middle ground and usually ideal .

Cheers for all your help I've got BrewR on my phone now, And all the recipe/process advice is really appreciated.
The hops are only 1.6% got them from worcester hop shop but does seem really low.
Hopefully get this on the go tmoz :D

Latest posts

Back