help with temp ?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevin01041961

Reaction score
Help please :wha: tempratures for mashing the tun ? the brewing or when you have the boil going? i know i know but this is my first mash......................help :thumb:

64c to 68c is a good range, try and go for 66c smack in the middle.

There is a bit in Brew FAQ on mash temp iirc :thumb:

This is from the Brew FAQ link:

What difference does mash temperature make?The temperature of the mash has quite a significant effect on the extract you get from the grist and also how the finished product tastes. Lower mash temperatures of say 64c will extract more fermentable sugars from the grain this means that most of the sugars in your fermenter will be processed by the yeast, so this can have the effect of giving you a dry, thinner tasting beer. A mash at the higher end, say 68c will give you an increased amount of unfermentable sugars, so the finished product should be a little sweeter and have more body.

Every single brew I've done so far (10 now I think) I've mashed at 66c-68c and I've never dropped below 66c on one yet and this is bourne out by the fact that my FG is always 1.012 - 1.015. I can safely say that all of my beers have been very tasty and not something that lacked taste and just got you drunk. I shall stick with it. :)

kevin01041961 said:
tempratures for mashing the tun ? the brewing or when you have the boil going?

Temp for mash already answered above.

Temp for brewing:
Presumably you mean fermenting? - Depends what you are brewing and what yeast you are using but generally you should be safe around the region 18C to 22C. Lower than that and the yeast might be a bit slow. Higher than that and the yeast might generate some unpleasant tastes.

Temp for boiling:
Er... boiling.

HTH :cheers:

Latest posts

Back