herms return design

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be worth starting a poll.
CIMG2511300x225.jpg

Stainless Aerator for me, as made by eskimobob :cool:

I've got my name down against one too, however I don't think Eskimobob has time to make a batch at the moment so in the interim I'm getting one cloned in brass by a mate with access to the right tools.

Here's the fitting I have had made for the PT100 for the HX return, this shows wort in where the hosetail is, and wort out at the bottom where the brass compression is, this will go to the spreader/sparger. The PT100 is on the right, The housing is basically a lump of brass with a 1/2" BSP female thread at one end and an M8 hole at the other. I can trim it down a bit to get the probe in the flow.

I'll make a collar for the top of the thermos pot lid with a 15mm hole and one in the pot lid. The aerator will be able to be raised and lowered through the collar, which will have a screw to hold it at any height I want.

well that's the plan :geek: wil it work :hmm:
P1020273.jpg

No guarantee Mark, his company has clamped down on this kind of work so he tends to do it only to return a favour, he took the cylinder head off his disco in my barn at the weekend so he owes me one. It's all barter in Yorkshire, cash hasn't made it this far north yet ;) I shall ask but don't hold your breath, he may want a goat or something in exchange. (he doesn't drink much so homebrew is out)

I use a home made version of the stainless wort aerator - made from stainless nuts bolts and a washer :lol:

herms-return2.jpg

You can buy the plastic version from hope and grape - clicky

Northern Brewer said:
No guarantee Mark, his company has clamped down on this kind of work so he tends to do it only to return a favour, he took the cylinder head off his disco in my barn at the weekend so he owes me one. It's all barter in Yorkshire, cash hasn't made it this far north yet ;) I shall ask but don't hold your breath, he may want a goat or something in exchange. (he doesn't drink much so homebrew is out)
thanks for trying anyway if not will have to hang on for EB to make one or do something different :thumb:

mark1964 said:
Northern Brewer said:
thanks for trying anyway if not will have to hang on for EB to make one or do something different :thumb:

There's no guarantee that I will get one before the build is finished, depends on my mate finding the right window of opportunity, so I will be using the plastic one until then, nothing wrong with them, just a bit fragile, will be using one in the FV anyway. By then Eskimobob may be making another batch so I don't see it as a problem. Not sure what pipe size the plastic one takes but easy enough to make a temporary adapter.

I did get him to make 5 spacers for the front axle of my old Dexta tractor, the other four I gave away to tractor forum members who had similar issues as me. However that was before his company started throwing away all metal offcuts and clamping down on side work.

At the moment mine is just the vertical end of a piece of 15mm copper above a plastic plate that sits on top of the grain bed. I built a spinning arm but don't have space for it with the mash tun full.

mark1964 said:
Northern Brewer said:

You could be in luck Mark, my mate needs to do some more work on his disco so he drove it up here and into the barn before the snow came down. We rifled through my scrap brass box and he's gone away with enough to make two wort aerators/sparge/herms return doo dahs. Many thanks to Eskimobob for the dimensions :thumb:

Not sure how long it will take him but he's usually pretty rapid. Still no guarantee as he may make a cock-up or may not get opportunity to do it for various reasons but looking good :party:

How's the copper pipe wrestling going? :whistle:

All done for today thanks hope your mate can make them will be grand need to finish hex next week run out of bits just the soldering and a 10 mm elbow and a few washers to get now :thumb:

will be completed next week. I ended up buying a 10m coil from b & q like yours i have loads spare might sell it on here as wont be needing it

Back