herms return design

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S, I've looked at that piccy quite a few times and coupled with your description I just don't understand how it works....I'm being thick....how does the wort get out of the hose/float combo :hmm:

Vossy1 said:
S, I've looked at that piccy quite a few times and coupled with your description I just don't understand how it works....I'm being thick....how does the wort get out of the hose/float combo :hmm:

Just runs out the end Vossy! Wort recirculates via the pump and HE then returns to the MLT where it simply flows into the surface of the liquor. The float holds the end of the hose up at the surface, wort runs out the end. There is no falling stream of wort to disturb the grainbed. This is where I got the idea http://www.ibrew.com.au/html/equipment/ ... arger1.htm

When sparging I use the same return, while draining to the kettle (gravity), sparge water is pumped via the HE (remains set at 77° from ramp to mash out) and into the MLT at the same slow rate as wort is draining to the kettle to maintain level.

Screwy

Back