Hi all!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Angiep

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm Angie and on my.2nd brew ever so a total newbie! Currently brewing Bulldogs Hammer of Thor, started it on Sunday (3 days ago) and the OG read 1051, pretty Bob on.... BUT left FV for the 1st 2 days at 26ish degrees, and have lowered gentle to a steady 20 degrees...... Tell me I haven't ruined it! I've done a gravity reading tonight and it's showing as 1006....... Just 3 days in...... Thoughts please guys :-)

Welcome to the forum.
I think that the temp was above usual yeast temps slightly but as you have now corrected it I think you will get away with it as most standard yeasts and I am guessing it is a standard kit yeast are usually a bit more temp tolerant than more specific yeasts. The worse is that you may have a a off taste but they are not always a bad thing. athumb..
The extra heat has obviously speeded up the fermentation so do not short cut the timing and leave it for 2 weeks this will give the yeast time to clean up and settle out too so as the beer is clearer.
Ps time and patience is what is require when you first start and do not always believe the kit instructions on some of the kits as they are very optimistic time wise

Yes I totally agree with the baron above. Your beer will be good. Just leave it in the fermentation bucket for a full two weeks. Then bottle it, leave in warm room for 2 weeks, then two weeks in a colder place to condition. Known as 2+2+2.
Good luck and enjoy. I’ve done about 25-26 brews over the past 2 years. I’m still learning. It’s a great hobby and makes you very popular. My next door neighbour and myself have become very pally over the past 2 years. 😂

Welcome to the forum.
I think that the temp was above usual yeast temps slightly but as you have now corrected it I think you will get away with it as most standard yeasts and I am guessing it is a standard kit yeast are usually a bit more temp tolerant than more specific yeasts. The worse is that you may have a a off taste but they are not always a bad thing. athumb..
The extra heat has obviously speeded up the fermentation so do not short cut the timing and leave it for 2 weeks this will give the yeast time to clean up and settle out too so as the beer is clearer.
Ps time and patience is what is require when you first start and do not always believe the kit instructions on some of the kits they are very optimistic time wise
Thanks for your reply, I am going to leave it well alone for at least 2 weeks, there's no foul smell so fingers crossed,. The brew does look like soup at the moment , so lots of clearing to do. My 1st brew, a plain coopers lager (yep, double newbie alert!) has turned out quite nice, it's on week 5 (ish) after bottling and has improved over the weeks, but has a low ABV, it was left for 3 weeks at around 16 to 18 degrees, and so thought I'd double down with this beast and buy a brew belt.... Then realised how warm it was!. Oh well, I'm sure if we don't like it, we can give to F&F at a BBQ in the future lol. Next brew is going to be a cider I think, any do's and dont's whith that?. I'm just getting giddy as my OH has built me a 'bit@h bar'

Yes I totally agree with the baron above. Your beer will be good. Just leave it in the fermentation bucket for a full two weeks. Then bottle it, leave in warm room for 2 weeks, then two weeks in a colder place to condition. Known as 2+2+2.
Good luck and enjoy. I’ve done about 25-26 brews over the past 2 years. I’m still learning. It’s a great hobby and makes you very popular. My next door neighbour and myself have become very pally over the past 2 years. 😂
Lol, I bet! My OH has built a bar in the garden, so I've started to 'dabble' ready for BBQ season, I'm looking forward to stockpiling and 'tasting' my weekends away :-)

Back