Hi. Some advice if you will...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteplus1

Regular.
Reaction score
First post, yay!
Posted this in the How to section but figured it would be ok here too...

Im totally new to brewing and thoroughly enjoying doing some research and getting my brewing area kitted out.Did a gallon of elderberry last year which i hope turns out ok upon consumption this year.Got a dandelion on the go... and planning a whole lot more in these coming Summer months.Rather than slip up over every obstacle going (though practise makes perfect right?) i just wondered if any seasonedwine makers could offer me a tip or two. Lots of conflicting recipies and ideas out there y'know! And i appreciate this may be old ground and faq's! so thanks in adv!If anyone can answer a short selection of queries below i would be very grateful ....
1. The dandelion has slowed down its ferment (2 and a bit weeks in) and i'm wondering if it's time to rack it off the lees into another demijohn? Haven't taken a reading yet.
2. Been at a constant temperature, if time to rack, is now the time to keep it cooler and would the garage be unsuitable because of the fluctuating temperature between day and night?
3. Is it necessary to introduce a campden on each racking?
4. Finally, for flower wines in general, i've been told if it's just a gallon that's being made, sugar needs to be no more than 1kg as it will be too sweet. Many recipies i've seen for hawthorn, elderflower and so on though seem to be much higher...
Thanks!.Pete

peteplus1 said:
First post, yay!
Posted this in the How to section but figured it would be ok here too...

Im totally new to brewing and thoroughly enjoying doing some research and getting my brewing area kitted out.Did a gallon of elderberry last year which i hope turns out ok upon consumption this year.Got a dandelion on the go... and planning a whole lot more in these coming Summer months.Rather than slip up over every obstacle going (though practise makes perfect right?) i just wondered if any seasonedwine makers could offer me a tip or two. Lots of conflicting recipies and ideas out there y'know! And i appreciate this may be old ground and faq's! so thanks in adv!If anyone can answer a short selection of queries below i would be very grateful ....
1. The dandelion has slowed down its ferment (2 and a bit weeks in) and i'm wondering if it's time to rack it off the lees into another demijohn? Haven't taken a reading yet.
2. Been at a constant temperature, if time to rack, is now the time to keep it cooler and would the garage be unsuitable because of the fluctuating temperature between day and night?
4. Finally, for flower wines in general, i've been told if it's just a gallon that's being made, sugar needs to be no more than 1kg as it will be too sweet. Many recipies i've seen for hawthorn, elderflower and so on though seem to be much higher...
Thanks!.Pete

1 If its still going I personally wait a week after its stopped
2 On first racking off of the lees I usually leave it warm(ish) for a while to see how the ferment goes. I like a dryer wine unless doing a sherry or port type though. I then keep in a cool area to let it cool before racking again.
3 Many books say to add a Campden tablet at each racking but I sometimes forget and not had any issues yet :pray: . This may be more luck than judgement

4 800g-1kg is usually ok for me and it usually ferments out dry - I have tried higher as some of the old recipes say but they do come out sweeter . I think-8-900g give a 12-13% wine
Might be worth waiting for more replies - I've only been doing this for a couple of years and I'm sure some of the old Pro's will have a lot more wizend advice to add :hat:

Grand gris said:
peteplus1 said:
Thanks!.Pete

1 If its still going I personally wait a week after its stopped
2 On first racking off of the lees I usually leave it warm(ish) for a while to see how the ferment goes. I like a dryer wine unless doing a sherry or port type though. I then keep in a cool area to let it cool before racking again.
3 Many books say to add a Campden tablet at each racking but I sometimes forget and not had any issues yet :pray: . This may be more luck than judgement

4 800g-1kg is usually ok for me and it usually ferments out dry - I have tried higher as some of the old recipes say but they do come out sweeter . I think-8-900g give a 12-13% wine
Might be worth waiting for more replies - I've only been doing this for a couple of years and I'm sure some of the old Pro's will have a lot more wizend advice to add :hat:

Mostly agree entirely, just a few additional comments.
1. As said leave until apparently done + a bit. I rarely rack before 4 weeks - with luck some stuff is actually not only done but clear by then so you can go direct to bottle, if it looks like it's gonna be clear soon I'll leave it longer than 4 weeks.
2. I tend to leave everything at fermenting temp until it's put away just for clearing and/or maturing. If there's yeast and sugar left in there I want it working
3. If you have active yeast then oxidation isn't a big deal as the yeast can eat it. If the ferment is done, oxidation is a worry so I generally Campden when racking, but if you have impeccable siphoning technique you needn't - loads of people manage without. I have wondered about squirting some CO2 into the receiving vessel for the wine to arrive under (easier to use a Campden!)
4. If you're going all the way to dry (I do) just calculate how much sugar from your desired ABV - rule of thumb says 20g per litre gives 1% (aka 1lb/gallon=5%). I generally go between 2lb8oz and 2lb12oz per gallon, but I like my wines around 13 or a little more (I expect some losses when topping up after mid-ferment racking etc). Delicately flavoured wines may not want that high an ABV.

Much appreciated advice.
Look forward to posting more as the flowers and fruits come and go :)

Latest posts

Back