High final gravity

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluebear1000

Reaction score
I am now on my third brew this one is a bulldog rajas reward kit to which i added 250 grams of spraymalt.
the airlock has been active for 3 weeks now but finally stopped yesterday. Today i checked my brew with the hydrometer and it is still reading 1015
will this be ok to bottle? also will the spraymalt i added have had any affect on the gravity

If you're using spraymalt rather than sugar, you are likely to end up with a higher final specific gravity reading than with sugar due to the greater amount of unfermentables contained within the spraymalt. I couldn't comment on actual values, though. As long as it's truly finished fermenting you'll be okay to bottle no matter what the gravity reading.

ok thanks for that .I gave the brew a bit of a stir today and I am now seeing more activity in air lock does this mean it is still not finished fermenting?

You need to keep an eye on it over the next few days and check the S, if it continues to go down then its still working but if its steady for 3 days consecutively then its finished but with a high level of contained fermentables. You can now prime and bottle.

Having said that there is no hurry to bottle, you can leave your brew in the FV under an airlock for a long time without any detriment to the brew, this helps the yeast to tidy up after itself and it allows the brew to clear before bottling. This will improve the finished product as it will be nice and clear to drink.

thanks for the info i'll keep checking it over next few days then transfer into secondary fv before bottling

Back