HLT Outlets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyhull

Landlord.
Reaction score
My new 50ltr blue barrel will be arriving on Wednesday next week and im gathering my parts to convert it.
What i would like to know is......
Which diameter outlet is best 15mm or 22mm, and if there is a diference is it much (good or bad)
I have the option to do both and already have a 1/2" valve currently so have everything ready to go with the 15mm, if i want to go with 22mm i will just need to aquire a 3/4" valve.

I use 15mm but, if you've got a 22mm set-up use that. you can always adjust flow with the ball valves. Only question would be have you got 22mm pipes to connect to it with? I know all mine are 15mm I/D

I've used both 22mm and 15mm, and have stuck with 15mm even on my large brewery.

If you look at my website, the older brew days have some video on them that shows the 22mm stuff in use, and I never used it fully open . . . Having upgraded to bigger kit, using 15mm I still don't really use them fully open, but it is much easier to control the flow.

The other thing to consider is cost of your connectors and such like, if you ever decide to go for Camlocks the cost differential between 1./2" and 3/4" is very significant, plus 1/2" will screw onto 15mm 3/4" wont screw on to 22mm ;)

Latest posts

Back