Hmm... Should I have added the yeast...

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bbbbeeer

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm a beginner and have decided to have a go at some Elderflower Champagne following this recipe... http://home-brew-online.myshopify.com/p ... gne-recipe.

The ingredients list included '1 packet of Champagne Yeast' but the instructions didn't say what to do with it. So I put the whole sachet in the bucket (10 litres) and stirred.

Now looked at other recipes and they all either say that you don't need yeast, or just to add a small pinch if nothing seems to be happening...

What have I done - and what am I going to end up with!? Should I abort and start again!?

Any suggestions, advice or otherwise, I'd be pleased to hear them!

Sam

Many old recipes rely on wild yeasts which are present on fruit skins, flowers etc.

In country winemaking it is usually considered best policy to kill or knock the wild yeasts out with campden tablets or boiling water before adding known yeasts which have been developed for the purpose.

You probably didn't need to use the whole sachet, which would have been good for up to 5 gallons, but you've done nothing wrong, it's better to add too much than not enough.

Let it carry on :thumb:

Cheer for the help guys.... Next question - when should I bottle it?

The (slightly vague) recipe says "several days or until the majority of the bubbling and fizzing has ceased" ... any more clues?

There's serious risk of gushers or bottle bombs if you follow those vague recipes.

I would prefer to play safe, let it ferment out and start to clear, then bottle and prime exactly as you would with a beer or cider.

Use proper Champagne bottles with stoppers and wires, or beer/cider bottles with crown caps, or plastic pop bottles but DO NOT use regular wine bottles!

It's usually meant to be drunk young and fresh and cloudy.

Young, fresh and cloudy - like me?

Great - so I'll stick it in some champagne bottles with a tsp of sugar once it's stopped fermenting...

I'll stop on the way home from work and buy a case of champagne, and drink it all tonight so that I've got some empty bottles to use....

bbbbeeer said:
I'll stop on the way home from work and buy a case of champagne, and drink it all tonight so that I've got some empty bottles to use....
Great plan :cheers: :drunk:

It's still all fizzing away in the bucket, so I'm leaving it there for now...

So, (last question, promise) once it's stopped fizzing, how much sugar would you recommend I prime it with when I bottle it? I have now acquired enough 750ml champagne bottles so it's going in that....

Thanks!

Sam

I would suggest about a teaspoonful to the bottle, maybe even a rounded teaspoonful.

Just checked my notes and I primed with 50ml apple juice to the bottle, which represents about 5g of sugar. That gave a good sparkle without being too frothy.

Good luck with the brew Sam I've still got some left over from last year, might pop one open tonight and see how it is.

I'd stick with the champagne or flip top sparkling wine bottles, IMHO for safety reasons beer bottles shouldn't be used.

Latest posts

Back