Hobgoblin Bottles- Grrrrrr

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sussex Hopburner

Reaction score
I love Hobgoblin, however, I will no longer buy it as a "bottle store replenish purchase" as it is a bugger to get crown caps on them.

Does anyone else have this problem? Is it my capping machine?

Yes, it is possible with a two-handed capper, but you need to develop the knack and they can still be a right PITA.

I have recycled all of my Hobgoblin bottles as I have collected more Magner's & Bulmer's.

i just got some gaymers bottles

labels off easy, filled with warm water and capped went well for first time

so when the first brew is ready ill be using these.

but a list of succesful bottles for beers or cider would be handy ;)

I've found London Pride bottles to be my fave so far. Caps go on easily and the labels just float off after about 5 minutes of soaking, leaving no glue residue. Plus it's nice to drink :thumb:

Lots of bottles now have plastic labels on them pita :x :x :x I have started to leave them on, and just mark the crown caps, I find them useful when emptying a corny with my home made beer gun :cheers:

Old Speckled Hen bottles are great - labels soak off quickly, and caps go on easily.

I leave my bottles in a big tub of water with washing soda and leave to soak over night, labels just fall of, then a quick wipe with a cloth to get the glue residue of. Plastic labels come off by filling bottle with very hot water then after a few minutes they should peel off.

The plastic labels can be a pain but I find that either very hot water or a long soak sorts it.

I've got a load of Bulmers Cider bottles and they're perfect. Not only are they really easy to cap with a two-handed capper, but being proper pint bottles you can overfill them slightly and then get a full pint out, leaving behind the sediment.

The Hobgoblin bottles keep coming up as regular as clockwork..I have an old capper given to me by an old boy and it works great..but I also have a new one that wont look at the Hobbie bottles. Makes you think if the brewery read these post and have a little titter to themselves. :lol:

wytchwood bottles are all uncappable i find. they have that bulbous top and my capper refuses to work on them.

i am washing a load of 'sheppard neame' bottle for my new batch. they have a really short lip (you know what i mean?). i can cap them but i dont think my capper likes them very much.

newcastlebrown bottles are my favourite. they hold close to a pint and cap easily, but the labels are welded on. i have some that have been through the wash a few times and the labels are very stubbon.

i also like speckled hen and SA Gold (is that beer just in wales?)

I thought it was a knack to bottle a hobgoblin, what I didnt realise was the bottle was ruining my capper. I just chuck them now.

happyhoppytaff said:
wytchwood bottles are all uncappable.
Only with a twin lever capper, they cap fine with a Bench capper :D . . . In fact with a bench capper you can cap pretty much any bottle from little green stubby 250ml bottles up to 750ml champagne bottles (After swapping the capping bell for a 29mm one)

Aleman said:
In fact with a bench capper you can cap pretty much any bottle from little green stubby 250ml bottles up to 750ml champagne bottles (After swapping the capping bell for a 29mm one)

no way. that would be a cool bottle.

my friend makes champagne using cheep boxes of wine and a soda stream. i wonder, if i put some of that in a champers bottle.....

Ceejay said:
happyhoppytaff said:
my friend makes champagne using cheep boxes of wine and a soda stream.

I really hope no French people see this! :lol:

maybe instead of champagne he should call it oxford fizzy plonk. it still tastes pretty good

ive told my wife i want a soda stream for my birthday.

[edit]

ive gone so off topic with this. sorry.

Latest posts

Back