Hobsons Best Bitter

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwoodin

Reaction score
A favourite beer of mine. The Cyclops description is -
See: Auburn
Smell: Hops
Taste: Rich, bitter

Bitterness is rated 3.5 out of 5
Sweetness 3 out of 5

The recipe according to 'The Real Ale Almanac' - Roger Protz (1997) is:

Maris Otter Pale Malt 92% 3310g
Crystal Malt 8% 290g

Challenger Hops for bitterness 33g 60min boil 8.2%AA
Progress for aroma 14g last 10min 7.9%
14g 0min
Dry Hopped 6g Progress
OG 1038 ABV 3.8% 35IBU

(The figures on the right are my best estimate for a 20 litre brew length).

However, this produced a beer that was unlike Hobsons, albeit with a fruity finish. To increase flavour, I amended the recipe to: (for 20 litres):

3310g Pale Malt
290g Ordinary Crystal
50g Dark Crystal
60g Challenger, 20g Progress for 60min boil
28g Progress last 10mins
28g Progress 0min
Dry Hop Progress 6g (Optional)
Yeast Brewlab F40

This produces a beer with an apparent very high IBU level (bitterness) of 84, compared to the published recipe's 35.

After 10 days in cask the beer tasted rich with caramel malt evident. Again, it was not like Hobsons, although a strongly flavoured, pleasant drink.

I have found with all my brews, that published recipes for bitters tend to produce bland beers (for me). Alpha Acids reduce as stored hops age, meaning the beer is less bitter than calculated, perhaps this is a factor. Also, my tasting ability may be below average.

If you are considering brewing a Hobsons Best Bitter type beer, I suggest you try the Protz recipe first, and if flavour turns out low, my amended recipe next. Good luck!

You will never get you clone exactly the same as the original because you will not be using their yeast , unless you can get some of it , but even then there are too many variables ie fermentation temp etc. Yeast accounts for about 60-70% of a beers flavour.

My house bitter is a clone of Fullers London Pride, although it definately tastes similar, mine has a more fruity taste which will be down to the yeast. However I prefer mine :party: :party: :party:

I used to be able to get Hobson's bottle conditioned beers from a local Oddbins. These will contain yeast that you may be able to cultivate from the dregs of the bottle. Whether this yeast is their primary strain or a "bottling" yeast I do not know (someone else here may know), but if it is their primary strain you could ferment with that and get a little step closer to the "proper" beer.

I have good results for bitters using cultivated Fuller's yeast (from bottled Bengal Lancer) and Wye Valley yeast (Golden Ale).

Cheers!

Back